Balsam Lake Walleye Slot Size

Wymen

Hey Guys,

I'm fishing Balsam for walleye later this week and I just wanted to double check the slot limits for walleye.

Zone 17 says, 35-50cm, but there is an exception for Balsam for none between 37-50cm. Does that mean that the exception over-rides the regular rule? B/c it doesn't make sense for both of them to apply - a range of 35-37cm??

Wymen

Yes, it is correct what you stated. Balsam was chosen sort of as an experiment to see if the opposite slot size is better or worse than the rest of the Kawarthas.

Asked a CO last year about this and he said he thinks both slot regulations are fairly restrictive and populations should rebound no matter what.

Last year i saw many walleye taken outside these rules. <_<

Yep both Balsam and Mitchell have their own set slot size which has been unchanged for the last few years even with the current new FMZ 17 rules.Unfortunately the slot is not followed very well as i have noted many cleaned carcasses thrown in the garbage at the park definately in the slot.The wardens are MNR officers and I have yet to see one inquire even out of curiosity about catches at the launch.Aside from that the slot size has been very helpful with walleyes in Balsam in general.

Kerry