York Region Officer Killed

ketchenany

My condolences to family and friends

NEWMARKET, Ont. - A York Regional Police officer was struck and killed during an early morning traffic stop on Highway 48, east of Newmarket, Tuesday.

The male officer was run over by a vehicle just before 5 a.m. on Highway 48, north of Davis Drive, and pinned underneath.

Police have not commented officially on what happened, but it appears the officer was standing outside the stopped vehicle and may have been struck by a passing vehicle.

He was taken to South Lake Regional Health Centre where he died of his injuries.

"It's with deep regret that I advise you that a very competent and capable police officer of York Regional Police has succumbed to his injuries this morning as a result of a traffic stop," York police Chief Eric Jolliffe told reporters.

"The family wishes that you observe some time for them to collect themselves. I've had some brief discussions with them, and they very much appreciate that at this particular time, you give them the space to deal with their loss."

Chief Jolliffe did not name the officer killed, and will most likely announce that at a formal news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Highway 48 is closed in both directions between Mount Albert Road and Davis Drive for the police investigation, which is expected to remain in affect for the rest of the day.

That's brutal.

I hate hearing things like this!

Lets just hope the person who hit him wasn't drunk, or something stupid like that.

Edit: Constable Garrett Styles, 32, a seven-year veteran of the force died in hospital

Edited by N.A.W