Pigeon Lake-Suggestions

skdds

Not all line is created equal either. A lot of guy use PowerPro, but IMO, it is garbage. Best muskie braids on the market that are easy to find here locally are:

P-Line Spectrex (I best I have found to date)

Suffix 832

Cortland Masterbraid

Reason I dislike the PowerPro is it bleeds its pigments all over your hands, close, rod, reel. It also seems to carry a lot of water back with it and you litteraly get soaked in comparison to the rest. I find that the P-line Spectrex and the Suffix have a much tighter braid and smaller diameter to them than the PowerPro as well. 85# Spectrex is about the same diameter as 50#PP.

For leaders, I like Titanium. I use 12 and 18" Terminator leaders. I have also used Floro leaders 150# +, but you need to inspect them all the time. If you have even a knick in the line, trash it.

I have to disagree with a few points here, but its just my opinion. I strictly use PP. I it lasts forever first of all, it bleeds the first 1/4 of the season then thats it, and i don tfind it retains much water at all. I have 80# on my spring and summer and 100# on my fall rods.

The 150# flouro also lasts forever. I have had some leaders last more then 4 years on regular use. even with a small nick they are fantastic. If you are feeling uneasy about it, take it off and put one end on a nail that is nailed into something solid, thread another nail thru your hoop on the other end and pull. I have yet to be able to snap one.

I have tried the titanium leaders and although they claim they dont kink, they do. VERY easily. And they are very expensive. I like the titanium for pike but not for musky. I will stick to floro all day long.

Again, try them all out, I have heard good things about the Courtland line as well, see what you like, if you are just starting out, the start up costs seem overwhelming, but as soon as you put your first 50" in the boat, everything goes away.

Makes me curious to try some other braids...I've only ever used PP, I hate the bleeding...

As far as Leaders go, Floro's great for just about all casting applications...Stiff wire is sometimes desirable for Jerkbaits and Gliders. There are times when using Floro is totally irresponsible, Trolling rocking water when bottom contact is a possibility, and Jigging in a river situation when bottom contact is obvious.

Re braids I prefer Tuff Line XP or BPS Braid as well, for leaders I do not like

Floro for muskie, but am impressed with Triline leader material which is much softer and no doubt gives better lure action, the only time I use Floro is for top waters, if the other guys have not used this leader material give it a try, its much cheaper, more supple and touch as nails, I believe 130 to 150lb is 13.99 and 14.99 respectively at Rollie and Helens, and it can easily be tied, note spool is 100 yrs I believe

I have to disagree with a few points here, but its just my opinion. I strictly use PP. I it lasts forever first of all, it bleeds the first 1/4 of the season then thats it, and i don tfind it retains much water at all. I have 80# on my spring and summer and 100# on my fall rods.

The 150# flouro also lasts forever. I have had some leaders last more then 4 years on regular use. even with a small nick they are fantastic. If you are feeling uneasy about it, take it off and put one end on a nail that is nailed into something solid, thread another nail thru your hoop on the other end and pull. I have yet to be able to snap one.

I have tried the titanium leaders and although they claim they dont kink, they do. VERY easily. And they are very expensive. I like the titanium for pike but not for musky. I will stick to floro all day long.

Again, try them all out, I have heard good things about the Courtland line as well, see what you like, if you are just starting out, the start up costs seem overwhelming, but as soon as you put your first 50" in the boat, everything goes away.

All I can say, in comparison, IMO, the PP does not compare. I used the PP for 2 weekends; I ruined 3 shirts that due to green dye stains and had to clean my reels each weekend due to an abundance of green fiber build-up all over everything. I really do not like have green hands at the end of a day of fishing. In comparison to P-line Spectex, the PowerPro frays like crazy, screams on the rod guides and bring back much more water.

As for flouro leads, maybe I just dont feel comfortable with a gouge out for the line. I pick my flouro leaders up from JB's and they sell their stuff for $5.99 each i beleive (12" @130lbs), so I dont mind throwing them away. I have never given it the old pull test... but maybe I will give it a try. I have broken a few Ti leaders ( i exclusively use Terminator - Zero kink even with pliers), but the failure point in always either the swivel or the loop above it. We are taking on a leader that sees 100 days of fishing though.

Edited by F_ast

All I can say, in comparison, IMO, the PP does not compare. I used the PP for 2 weekends; I ruined 3 shirts that due to green dye stains and had to clean my reels each weekend due to an abundance of green fiber build-up all over everything. I really do not like have green hands at the end of a day of fishing. In comparison to P-line Spectex, the PowerPro frays like crazy, screams on the rod guides and bring back much more water.

As for flouro leads, maybe I just dont feel comfortable with a gouge out for the line. I pick my flouro leaders up from JB's and they sell their stuff for $5.99 each i beleive (12" @130lbs), so I dont mind throwing them away. I have never given it the old pull test... but maybe I will give it a try. I have broken a few Ti leaders ( i exclusively use Terminator - Zero kink even with pliers), but the failure point in always either the swivel or the loop above it. We are taking on a leader that sees 100 days of fishing though.

This is exactly what these threads are for. Here is a perfect example of some good some bad. Like I said, the line does bleed the first few times but after that its perfectly fine. I am willing to try other lines, I have just had no reason to. Every year I reverse my line on my reels and take off the first 20 feet or so. As for the leaders, I make my own, I have yet to have a problem with them (knock on wood) even with nicks and such.

But like I said, its good to have opinions from both sides. It should help (or confuse) anyone that is looking for information.