what a bunck of crap

walleyejack

He was in a different country!!!!!!!

You need to follow rules...

This is to prevent smuggling people and keeping illegal immigrants out of our countries... Canada and USA...

If your on a border water you should smarten up and follow the rules... And if you dont, don't wine about it when you get caught breaking the law...

Edited by Musky Mike

as far as I am concerned, this is a by-product of Americas "war" on terrorism... Canada is following America's lead on this.... slowly our freedoms are being taken away, in the name of "national security"..

sadly things will only get worse, as the US puts more and more pressure on Canada to tighten our borders and become paranoid puppets as the US people have become.

No slight to our American friends... this is just one Canucks opinion.

G

Mr. Magers said the congressman's interpretation of the statute involved exempts fishermen, as it states that it does not apply to a person entering Canadian waters "directly from one place outside of Canada to another place outside of Canada."

Mr. Magers said the congressman's interpretation of the statute involved exempts fishermen, as it states that it does not apply to a person entering Canadian waters "directly from one place outside of Canada to another place outside of Canada."

My understanding is the US has also been doing something similar to Canadian anglers.. and both are puffing up their proverbial chests... twit for tat situation is my understanding... this was brought up not long ago here... last week I think.

You have two enforcement agencies, from two countries trying to out-do the other.... this is sadly the result..

That said, an interpretation of the law from ONE congressman, Vs. the spirit in which the law was intended can be two wildly different things.

G

It's not a bunch of crap. It's the way the world operates these days. Just because you're fishing doesnt give you the right to enter a country ileagally.

While this is true, proper discretion needs to be exercised by the authorities, particularly in what is a pretty gray area.

i think they should have used some discretion and just sent him back to his side of the river with a Warning and no fine.

Understandably, they need to enforce the borders but this is quite unfair for the fisherman.

Just a warning is what I would have liked to see happen there.