My first custom Rod

umKthxbye

This is my first attempt at making a rod, this one isn't 100% done but it can be fished right now, ill be testing it tomorrow.

Some things still needing work is the cork handle, I turned the single piece into a split grip, the 2 ends need to be rounded and some threading needs to be put at the cork to add esthetics.

The top piece of the rod on the guides threading has the most mistakes. I should have burned the tips of thread off but I figured the resin would flatten it out, but it didn't. It did show me the mistake and I corrected it on the bottom half of the rod. I was originally going to go with Neon Lime thread for the guides since I love the color but decided not too since Ill probably sell it and make another one more perfect.

Anyways here are some pics. This is going to be a good way to pass the time during the winter.

custrod1.JPG

custrod2.JPG

custrod3.JPG

custrod4.JPG

Yep, I got all my stuff from Mudhole, watch out for shipping and customs cost. Those 2 alone cost $100.

The MHX blanks are suppose to be sold at the Canada retailler "rodbuildersupplies" but its not showing on the website.

Mudhole is the only retailer that seems to have them which sucks cuz Id rather buy it from a canadian business.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

The MHX blanks are suppose to be sold at the Canada retailler "rodbuildersupplies" but its not showing on the website.

Rod Builder Supplies is the canadian distributor for mhx.

Next time send an email to them... The guy in question's name is andy snedden and he has been very helpful and much of his stuff isn't on his site. Just ask him what you need and he is very accomodating. He even reams the cork for me (the only part of the build I don't enjoy).

Nice first rod. Take your time with those tag ends. Any blemish in your wrap and the epoxy magnifies it. Watch the lime green thread especially. EVERYTHING will show on a thread colour like that.

Sweet job man.

Rod Builder Supplies is the canadian distributor for mhx.

Next time send an email to them... The guy in question's name is andy snedden and he has been very helpful and much of his stuff isn't on his site. Just ask him what you need and he is very accomodating. He even reams the cork for me (the only part of the build I don't enjoy).

Nice first rod. Take your time with those tag ends. Any blemish in your wrap and the epoxy magnifies it. Watch the lime green thread especially. EVERYTHING will show on a thread colour like that.

Sweet job man.

Yeah I actually JUST emailed them to ask if they had it available. Since I plan to do more it would be nice to buy local.

That's one of the reason i chose to go black threads for my first rod. The resin seem to be very nice and smooth, crystal clear. No mess ups other then the tags on the top half of rod(which has all but 1 guide :blush:)

Next one should be pretty amazing.

Edited by umKthxbye

A razor blade, and a couple of minutes, plus another coat of epoxy will fix the thread issue. A little more sanding time would fix the cork handle. The best advice I received after building my first, was " take your time".

It's amazing how we can almost always get it right the 2nd time.

Easy for me to say now, because Spiel gets it right Everytime.

I've been spoiled.

Ok, so finally got to test my rod out on something other then the small perch and rock bass that have been hitting my lures that are much bigger then them.

This 27inch pike didn't really make me fight much but the rod didn't snap so that's good.

This is also my Personal Best!

27inchpike.JPG

A razor blade, and a couple of minutes, plus another coat of epoxy will fix the thread issue. A little more sanding time would fix the cork handle. The best advice I received after building my first, was " take your time".

It's amazing how we can almost always get it right the 2nd time.

Easy for me to say now, because Spiel gets it right Everytime.

I've been spoiled.

Spiel does a phenomenal job no doubt