Grand River Bass Derby

I would just like to inform anyone that is interested that the Grand River will be, yet again, holding a Bass Derby. Any ages are welcome and it is a fee of $20.00 for the ages of 16 and older and $5.00 for the ages of 9-15 and any younger then that it is free. If you would like more information on the Bass Derby the website is http://www.grandriverbassderby.ca/

Also, I was wondering if anyone would be attending this tournament, or has attended this tournament in the pass because I would like some information on it. I would like to know if it is mostly shore fishing, the amount of people attending the tournament, etc...

Thanks,

Bryce

Hey Bryce,

i have never gone to the tourney but i'll be in Waterloo/Kitchener around that time (studying at the U of Waterloo and i'm on my co-op term right now, will be back in school from May-Aug)

I'd be interested in going and hopefully get some responses with the info.

Victor

i'm doing civil engineering, on my 2nd year.

will probably fish the grand quite alot.. mostly for carp and maybe bass... i think it'll be tough for me to do the tourney since i'm limited to shore-bound... but we'll see.

I used to go in the Tourney every year. I found I didn't enjoy it that much. All your favourite spots on the river are packed with people. Most of them are leaving garbage behind and spooking all the fish. It is mainly for shorebound anglers because it would be hard to keep a good smallmouth alive in a canoe until you reach your car. Then you would have to drive to Bingeman's to get it entered. I remember one year two guys brought in a 21" largemouth they said they caught behind the Lanc hotel. The boys at the measuring station were skeptical and removed a scale for testing. Turns out they caught it at Shade's Mill conservation area in Cambridge. Can't cheat these guys. There is no reason to bring in a smallmouth that is less than 18.5" because it won't win you anything. You could always win a door prize I guess. Now when the derby is on I'll usually go to Guelph lake or Puslinch or Shade's mill just to get away from the crowds.

I was fishing off victoria street one day during those bass derbies, there must have been 20 fishermen that passed me by within 2 hours all asking the same question whether anyone cought anything around there.

I used to do quite a bit of fishing at grand because thats the only place i could go to but not so much anymore due to lack of fish.