Cannonball colour...

danklegrand

Just picked up a set of used Big Jon manual riggers for a great deal! I don't have a lot of experience with controlled depth fishing, but both my Dad and my girlfriend's Dad have spend a lot of time doing it years ago.

Anyways, I thought I's expand our horizons a bit and gradually get into it.

I have a question about the cannonball colour. The ones I got with my riggers are pretty beat up and most of the paint is chipped off. I cleaned then up and was planning on re-painting, but I'm unsure which colour I should go with. They were originally red... Most of the new ones seem to come in either black or natural?

Is cannonball colour just a personal preference? Do they actually help attract fish to your lure?

Any advice, personal opinions, myths or legends are welcome!

Just picked up a set of used Big Jon manual riggers for a great deal! I don't have a lot of experience with controlled depth fishing, but both my Dad and my girlfriend's Dad have spend a lot of time doing it years ago.

Anyways, I thought I's expand our horizons a bit and gradually get into it.

I have a question about the cannonball colour. The ones I got with my riggers are pretty beat up and most of the paint is chipped off. I cleaned then up and was planning on re-painting, but I'm unsure which colour I should go with. They were originally red... Most of the new ones seem to come in either black or natural?

Is cannonball colour just a personal preference? Do they actually help attract fish to your lure?

Any advice, personal opinions, myths or legends are welcome!

Just paint them black or leave them natural and call it good. Just from my experiences, but I am no pro so take it for what it is worth. There are other things that are more important while downrigger fishing IMO like lead lenghts, release types, the weight of the ball, etc.

Good luck.

Just paint them black or leave them natural and call it good. Just from my experiences, but I am no pro so take it for what it is worth. There are other things that are more important while downrigger fishing IMO like lead lenghts, release types, the weight of the ball, etc.

Good luck.

Hook a set of number 7 or 8 colorado blades to the bottom eyelet, and watch the chinnoks rip them off , will also draw them to your lures

No difference at all. In fact I'm convinced they started painting them to hide defects. Although the ones that are painted with the vinyl might be a little less noisy when you're reeling your balls in....as it were. :)

Thanks for the replies guys! Again, I'm a bit of a newbie to the downrigging side of things and had heard different opinions about the colour of the cannonballs. I think the ones I got are home-made, and I'd guess they weigh about 8lbs... One thing that I haven't got yet are the releases. I'll search around on here, but does anyone have preferences on what to buy?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies guys! Again, I'm a bit of a newbie to the downrigging side of things and had heard different opinions about the colour of the cannonballs. I think the ones I got are home-made, and I'd guess they weigh about 8lbs... One thing that I haven't got yet are the releases. I'll search around on here, but does anyone have preferences on what to buy?

Thanks again.

The Scotty pinch type are adjustable and easy to use.I would stick to mono with a flourocarbon leader of 5-8 ft.If you use a cheater or slider a larger swivel on the flouro will kind of help keep the lines from getting too tangled up when bringing lines up.Braided line doesn't work all that great with releases especially if you like to crank them down.

Kerry