Rod building question

shadowfly

Hey guys i decided to take on my first project of building a rod from an 8wt 9ft fly rod. i would like to turn it into a spinning rod.

2 question

1) how do i remove the reel seat from the blank (factory glued) without damaging or cutting the reel seat?

2)I also would like to clean the blank before wrapping the guides is there anyway to remove the glue without the use of acetone?(I'm worried that the acetone might damage the blank one way or another.)correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks in advance

shadowlfy

Hey guys i decided to take on my first project of building a rod from an 8wt 9ft fly rod. i would like to turn it into a spinning rod.

2 question

1) how do i remove the reel seat from the blank (factory glued) without damaging or cutting the reel seat?

2)I also would like to clean the blank before wrapping the guides is there anyway to remove the glue without the use of acetone?(I'm worried that the acetone might damage the blank one way or another.)correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks in advance

shadowlfy

What type of reel seat is it, wood, graphite, aluminium?

What type of blank is it, bamboo, fibreglass, graphite?

and yes keep the acetone well away from it. :)

ok update, i tried to remove the the reel seat dipping it in boiling water like i red on the net it didn't work, Got angry and removed it in pieces .it's was a wooden reel seat. with that done now i will start wrapping the new guides on.

and the blank is graphite any recommendations on cleaning the left over residue from the glue?

thanks in advance spiel

thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by shadowfly