Richter Lake report from yesterday

tooski

Eddie North's Richter Lake report

Just now returned from Richter after an 18 hour overnite drive home so bear with any mistakes. Taking the family back to Richter in three weeks and will post a more complete report - hopefully with some pix...

My apologies to Phishfearme as the Pittsburgh Steeler jersey I promised to fish in (lost bet) was used to quell a potential raging forest fire and was accidentally destroyed.

Originally we scheduled for Beteau but Eddie asked if we would mind fishing Richter as he had two more guys for Beteau that wanted to join the original six. With a bit of hesitation we agreed, although fishing a smaller lake twice in a month was not overly appealing.. Anyhow-

The reports and PM's from 1812 and SneakyPete were pretty accurate. This lake is loaded with fish. We never brought back a fish after the first day- much simpler to just catch dinner in ten minutes off the dock. The largest pike of the week (38 inches) was caught off the dock on a jig while waiting for the plane to come in. It broke off the jig and Woody went through his gear to find and re-tie a silver minnow and on the first cast caught it again. Not a trophy but we seldom bothered fishing for the northerns.

The water is clear to about 5 feet. The lake was 17 feet at the deepest spot we found. Water temps were between 65 and 67 for the most part. All fish were caught between 2 and 9 feet but we never bothered fishing the deeper water. The times when we did fish specifically for northerns the Johnson silver minnow was hands down the favorite. Top waters were more fun but Johnsons were more effective. Oddly (for me anyway) the best method for walleye was trolling jigs. They seemed to prefer the constant speed trolling provides. We caught walleye trolling Raps, Flickers and other shallow runners but the jigs were more effective and had the added advantage of just shaking them off boatside since I fish barbless.

The prevailing wind shifted twice; from northwest to east and after two days back again. Made no difference except we tried to fish the windblown shores. Almost no area for shore lunches but you can reach the cabin in 15 minutes from most places. One of the best parts of this constant action is the chance to try diff methods and hardware. Not trying to start a debate since there are plenty of threads about these subjects already posted but this is what I found:

Suffix 832 was better than power pro. The walleye fight like smallies and the constant line stress caused some issues with my power pro. None with suffix.

Kalins salt and pepper lunker grub 4" was better than similar sized Trigger X ( which was my fave last year on Abamasagi)

Used a leader on my braided half the time due to the constant northern hits while walleye fishing. I had more success with tying lures directly to the braid than when a leader was used, although not a huge diff.

I lost a LOT of fish fishing barbless compared to Brad who did not. I never found this to be an issue in previous years but the walleye in this lake are great fighters so that may be the difference.

Fishing was better at high noon on a mirror lake in 5 feet of water than it was in the early morning or late evening. Long time walleye fishermen are going to think they entered the Twilight Zone when they fish this lake.

Non-fishing notes... we flew a new 2000 Watt Honda generator in for Eddie. Smooth and sweet and quiet. Nakina Air is top notch. Courteous, professional and friendly. Cabin has some issues that I will address with eddie before July 9th. If you are headed to Richter feel free to PM me with any questions..

Joe T

It's such a great time of year getting to read all these kinds of reports.

So true about the daytime walleye bite being primetime. Found that the case many days on the northern waters, not all though.

Sounds like a pretty cool spot loaded with eyes. Bet your happy to get another crack at it so soon.

:lol:

Not anymore Joe, I'm pretty much a shadow of my former fishaholic self.

Glad the trip went well, sounds as though I'm going to regret not being able to make the Sept trip.

Only 74 more sleeps!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

The only thing I am not really looking forward too is the 15 or so hours behind the wheel!

Hey, glad you had a good time and that I was able to provide you with a little information. This place is definitely a Walleye factory! The most amazing thing to me is how "unspooked" the fish were. Forget letting out 100' feet of line when trolling....it takes too long to reel them in. We let out 20' feet....seriously....20' of line and were catching them in the prop wash!