Father's day on Lake O

alphaalpha

My father-in-law and I have been out on my new boat a few times this year trolling for salmon out of Pickering with nothing to show for it so far. It has mostly been cold and ugly weather so today was going to be a nice treat. I had leave from work for this weekend so we got out bright and early this morning. We were set up and fishing by 6am. From previous reports on spoonpullers.com I heard some kings were being landed from 90-140fow. We started trolling at 120 then out to 145 then all the way in to 65'. We didn't mark much of anything until we saw some bait balls around 75'. Seeing this we kept from 70-90 fow for the rest of the morning. At 8:10am the slider on the rigger down 30' over 85' went off on a black and orange spoon.

My father-in-law doesn't have a lot of experience handling these fish and almost got whacked in the face upon landing this 6.5lb 'bow.

005.jpg

it put up a great fight for him, displaying some very nice acrobatics. I think I may have been more excited to get him onto the fish than he was but he definately appreciated it.

My turn was up next and about half an hour later the dipsy goes off. Large dipsy on setting 2 out 80' using a watermelon spoon. Slightly smaller than his but still put up a great fight!

007.jpg

We ended up going 3/4 on the day with a small coho rounding out the group. It did get a little choppy out there by the time we left (off the water at noon) but was a great day to be out. Still no kings but I can't wait to get out again and land my first and get him into some bigger fish as well.

Happy Father's day to all the dads out there and good fishing!

-AA.