Trailer tire pressure / ratings question

scugpg

I had a quick question about the rating on trailer tires:

If a tire is rated to handle a load of say 1000lbs at a given PSI: Say an axle weighs total 1000lbs. For each side would that mean its carrying 500lbs each or would you use the 1000lb rating? Just curious as I was reading up on this today.

Edited by scugog

That depends on the tires for one thing. If your bo/mo/trailer weighs a 1000, then /x2, each tire carries about 500lbs. If the tires rating is 1000, you have lots of safety space. Now comes the fun part. Radials can be used with less than the full recommended air pressure, bias ply should be run close to the recommended pressure to reduce heat caused by sidewall flex.

rereading your ?? is it about tire pressure or the way ratings work? a 2000 lb axle would need each tire to carry a weight rating of 1000lbs, if that is what you mean. each part should add up to the mazimum load the trailer is rated for..

i always maxed out the tires that went out the door of our shop. they were all marathon radials.

That depends on the tires for one thing. If your bo/mo/trailer weighs a 1000, then /x2, each tire carries about 500lbs. If the tires rating is 1000, you have lots of safety space. Now comes the fun part. Radials can be used with less than the full recommended air pressure, bias ply should be run close to the recommended pressure to reduce heat caused by sidewall flex.

Ok great thanks for the reply I'm well within the range. Where do you guys recommend a good place to buy trailer tires? I've seen goodyear marathons around, not sure what the other reputable brands are.

Thanks!

Edited by scugog

Check before you buy by the date code stamped in the side of the tire. Not all, but I'm betting most are made overseas. Some of the newer Goodforayear are made in the US. What size are you looking at? I use 5.30x12 LR C on mine, bought at TSC, (Tractor Supply).