Lake Kennisis - Rock Bass Rumble

Headed up to my buddies cottage for a little family fishing. There were 3 families - 6 adults and 12 kids, 10 and under. We were the last family to arrive on Friday evening. By the time we finished supper it was almost 8:30. We headed down to the dock to see what the action would be like.

The next hours was the craziest fishing of my life!!

The rock bass were on fire. They were hitting everything. One kid caught 3 fish in a row on a bare hook! I have no idea how many fish I unhooked or how may we caught but it was pure pandemonium!

P5030036.jpg

Then just like that, they turned off, right about 9:30.

Here are a couple of the bigger fish.

Rockbass-9-Taylor-kennisis.jpg

Rockbass-825-Hannah-kennisis.jpg

The bigger fish all came on a 1/16 oz white palmered marabou jig.

We hit the dock again the next day but it was dead. No fish at all. We then switch to the lake side deck. It had an overhang into the lake and all the rock bass were under that. The kids fished there on and off all day. It was a great spot. It had a railing for safety. The water was gin clear and the kids could see the rockies coming out and hitting their baits. Again, the top producer was the white jig. I like them because I didn't have to keep putting worms on it! Another plus is the jig head helps reduce the gut hooking. That way you don't have to explain why Mr. Rock Bass is floating...

P5040016.jpg

We kept a couple of the bigger ones for a snack. We filleted the biggest ones. The smaller ones we just remove the head, gut and scale them. They fry up beautifully and taste great. Right up there with perch and sunfish!

P5030047.jpg

P5040007.jpg

All the bigger ones were male. The females where still full of roe. All fish were very clean with no visible parasites at all.

We hit the dock again Saturday evening. It was good but nothing like the first night and no hogs.

By Sunday even the deck had slowed down and only really small fish were biting. We figured there wasn't a rock bass in the area that hadn't been hooked a half dozen times by now!

It was a great weekend. Two kids caught there first fish ever! Several kids got there PB rock bass. At times the bugs were insane but that is all part of the experience!

Lake Trout Report - I was hoping to get out to target some lakers but the weather, boat issues, kid fishing commitments, and trying to make it a wife friendly weekend kept me off the lake...next time.

Edited by Homer Is King

Another great outing for the kids...nice work! That deck is tailor made for them...very cool. Good luck on the next outing...hopefully you get to chase lakers...I was in Minden on the weekend looking for them a few times and struck out.

• 6 months later...

My family also has a cottage on Kennisis. The lake is loaded with rock bass and on a good day every other cast brings another fish. Unfortunately they are invasive and are taking all the food that the native species eat. I'll have to try that jig you were talking about and see if it can turn my luck around on bad days next summer.