Mounting a Scotty Downrigger

Nipfisher

I am going to mount my swivel base for my manual Scotty downrigger on to my 17' Starcraft Aluminum. I only plan on mounting one down rigger because I will likely never use it (but it was free so I might as well keep it). My question is......should it be mounted on the same side as my consul or the opposite side? I see many boats with them in the back corners and recently saw two boats with them straight away out the back. It seems like they were installed in the centre so the cover could still be put on the boat without removing the riggers.

As a side note I also upgraded my MotorGuide bow mount trolling motor from a cable steer 36# to a wireless 55# model. I will be spending some time in the boat this week getting it even more set up.

Opposite side. You'll never see a rod go off if it's right behind you :) Plus you can still drive the boat and have the rod/rigger in your peripheral vision...

You can also make up a rigger mount with a piece of 2x8 and run them right across the back. Lots of options.

I am going to mount my swivel base for my manual Scotty downrigger on to my 17' Starcraft Aluminum. I only plan on mounting one down rigger because I will likely never use it (but it was free so I might as well keep it). My question is......should it be mounted on the same side as my consul or the opposite side? I see many boats with them in the back corners and recently saw two boats with them straight away out the back. It seems like they were installed in the centre so the cover could still be put on the boat without removing the riggers.

As a side note I also upgraded my MotorGuide bow mount trolling motor from a cable steer 36# to a wireless 55# model. I will be spending some time in the boat this week getting it even more set up.

Put it on a track system - traxtech and berts make nice ones. Stay away from Tite-Lok. That way it is very easy to take it on and off. You can also use the track for so many differnet things - rod holders, grill, cup holders, ect. Very versitile.