Biscuit Recipe

motv8tr

Hey all, I've taken up baking as a bit of a hobby, and learning somthing new. I am now searching for a good biscuit recipe, I have one from my family and it's similar to another I found on the internet. Are "southern" or "country" biscuits pretty much the same? The one I have is apparently referred to as a "Baking powder" biscuit. It's good but I'm looking for more flavour and texture if that's possible.

Thanks for the help

Maureen

Hey all, I've taken up baking as a bit of a hobby, and learning somthing new. I am now searching for a good biscuit recipe, I have one from my family and it's similar to another I found on the internet. Are "southern" or "country" biscuits pretty much the same? The one I have is apparently referred to as a "Baking powder" biscuit. It's good but I'm looking for more flavour and texture if that's possible.

Thanks for the help

Maureen

I used this one with stew , works, it is a pretty dry mixture maybe an few drops more milk.

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup shortening

3/4 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut shortening in until mixture has a fine crumb texture. Stir in milk with a fork to make a soft dough. Knead 8 to 10 times, and then roll out to a thickness of at least 1/2 inch. Cut into rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on cookie sheet, and allow to rest for a few minutes.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.

Thanks for the help

Maureen

Your mother makes the best damn bisquits I have ever tasted...

Rumor has it that CPH's wife Debbe makes good bisquits also but...???

Any recipe that uses butter and buttermilk should work. Butter has to be very cold and not overworked into the dry ingredients. I like the recipes from Cooks Illustrated.

This is from Cook's Illustrated:

The Problem

Traditional "roll and cut" recipes yield flaky, but not particularly fluffy, biscuits.

The Goal

To create a rustic roll with a crisp, golden brown top that sits high above an extra-fluffy, moist, and tender crumb.

The Solution

We tried lard, vegetable shortening, and butter, both separately and in combination. The biscuits made with lard or shortening were bland compared with the rich flavor of the all-butter biscuits. A few more tests showed that the best way to add the butter to the dough was to combine it--chilled straight from the refrigerator--with the dry ingredients in a food processor. Low-fat buttermilk produced biscuits richer in flavor and texture than nonfat, but tasters raved about both batches. Knowing that steam was an important contributor to the high rise of the biscuits (moisture in the dough converts to steam in the oven, causing the biscuits to swell), we experimented with oven temperature. Five minutes at 500 degrees followed by 15 minutes at 450 degrees maximized the rise from the steam. For even more rise we used both baking soda and baking powder (with a hefty amount of the later at 1 tablespoon). To shape the wet and sticky dough into biscuits, we scooped up a biscuit-size lump of wet dough, dusted it with flour, shaped it into a round, and placed it in a 9-inch nonstick cake pan. Once all of the biscuits were packed into the pan, we brushed the tops with melted butter.

Buttermilk Biscuits

from Cook's Illustrated

Dough

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)

1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 1/4-inch cubes

1 1/2 cups buttermilk cold, preferably low-fat

To Form and Finish Biscuits

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces), distributed in rimmed baking sheet

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Generously spray inside and outside of 1/4 cup dry measure with nonstick cooking spray.

2. For the dough: In food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda to combine, about six 1-second pulses. Scatter butter cubes evenly over dry ingredients; pulse until mixture resembles pebbly, coarse cornmeal, eight to ten 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Add buttermilk to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated (dough will be very wet and slightly lumpy).

3. To form and bake biscuits:Using 1/4 cup dry measure and working quickly, scoop level amount of dough; drop dough from measuring cup into flour on baking sheet (if dough sticks to cup, use small spoon to pull it free). Repeat with remaining dough, forming 12 evenly sized mounds. Dust tops of each piece of dough with flour from baking sheet. With floured hands, gently pick up piece of dough and coat with flour; gently shape dough into rough ball, shake off excess flour, and place in prepared cake pan. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging 9 rounds around perimeter of cake pan and 3 in center. Brush rounds with hot melted butter, taking care not to flatten them. Bake 5 minutes at 500 degrees, then reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees; continue to bake until biscuits are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Cool in pan 2 minutes, then invert biscuits from pan onto clean kitchen towel; turn biscuits right-side up and break apart. Cool 5 minutes longer and serve.

Your mother makes the best damn bisquits I have ever tasted...

Rumor has it that CPH's wife Debbe makes good bisquits also but...???

I noticed Mike Smith (Food Network) keeps his butter for his buttermilk bisquits in the freezer then grates it into the dry ingredients...