House Insurance

strik

Sister purchased a house outside of London 5 bed room two baths over one hundred years old 2.5 acers driving shed with hydro.

Before purchase she inquired about insurance was told it was insurable and her insurance will increases UNDER hundred dollars per month

So they went ahead and purchased the home they just found out insurance will be 3500$ .

Does anyone know if this is real or any insurance brokers in the area that would like to give this a look at ?

Any help would be great they tried to call to find out information but no one got back to them today, they hope to know more tomorrow

Thanks

Strik

Although I am not in the London area I live in a house built in 1865. When I moved here from Maple in 2003 I was given a quote from my then current insurer that seemed reasonable and we went with the policy. After moving in the insurance company sent an appraiser to the house who determined the replacement value of the house was $750,000 due to solid brick construction and other issues beyond our control. And this was a house that was completely renovated and updated. As a result they attempted to triple my rates and then inform me that they could not insure against replacement value, sounds like they were trying to suck and blow at the same time. Add in the coverage for my 4 outbuildings and you have an incentive to shop house insurance.

My advice would be to ask around and find out who insures the neighbouring properties that are similar. I would specifically look for insurers that specialize in farm properties. We were able to insure our house with Peel Mutual, using a local farm broker at a rate that was less than the original quote we received from our insurer in Maple.

Another thing to consider is what type of wiring they have in the house. This will really drive the price of insurance up. Has it been updated/redone? I would imagine in that time it was all knob and tube? I had problems finding insurance for my home because I have aluminum wiring. Everybody wanted a certified electrician to sign off on the house being safe.

Another thing to consider is what type of wiring they have in the house. This will really drive the price of insurance up. Has it been updated/redone? I would imagine in that time it was all knob and tube? I had problems finding insurance for my home because I have aluminum wiring. Everybody wanted a certified electrician to sign off on the house being safe.

Why does everybody get so upset about aluminum wiring.

My parents bought a new house in the 70's. It was in a whole subdivision of aluminum wired houses. I still live 4 blocks from there and not one house in the subdivision has ever burned down

Why does everybody get so upset about aluminum wiring.

My parents bought a new house in the 70's. It was in a whole subdivision of aluminum wired houses. I still live 4 blocks from there and not one house in the subdivision has ever burned down

Insurance just tries to suck money out of you anyway they can. It has been known to cause problems in some cases, in particular when the receptacles don't have pig tails. My whole street is aluminum and its a 30-35yr old subdivision and nobody has had a problem. After speaking with a few electricians, they all have mixed opinions.

We're insured through meloce monnex, and they've been pretty competitive. I do get an allumni discount from them, so YMMV. What the insurance company did is not all that unexpected, if the house was inspected by them after purchase. Your sisters first quote was based on what they asked/what she told them. The inspection may have raised issues that led to the price increase.

Or they may be screwing her around. Quotes are free, and it never hurts to look. My wife and I routinely (every 2-3 years) get a few other quotes, to see if its worth switching.

Bryan

Just got off the phone with her the Ins Company never sent anyone out just said it was quoted wrong .... So they called around so far they have a company that is saying same coverage for 1600 plus the get 2 mil instead of 1 mil for liability. I cant belive the difference