Kicker setup

Sebastian

More boat questions for you guys.

I was looking to buy a new 9.9 Yammy kicker. Almost forgot about my early 90's 8hp Nissan 2HP kicker. I am not picky about a 4 stroke kicker to match the 4 stroke main outboard. Having a small gas tank at the back of the boat is not a big deal for me. Im looking at a Panther Steering bar to do the trick. Any experiences? i never dealt with a kicker. I always trolled with a main outboard.

Will i have to manually lift the motor up and drop it every time i move spots? How do you accelerate and slow down speeds? I get that the side console will do the steering but will i have to manually set the speed on the kicker and settle for that speed?

Its not ideal to use an old motor that is a pull start and manual tilt but if i can save $2000 this season and use the old kicker then im okay with that.

Thanks.

Im looking at a Panther Steering bar to do the trick. Any experiences?

I have one but haven't installed it yet.. Im doing another method right now.. see below..

Will i have to manually lift the motor up and drop it every time i move spots?

Most likely unless your kicker motor has trim/tilt....

How do you accelerate and slow down speeds?

You run to the back and twist the throttle!!! or you can get a remote throttle controller like this... http://controllking.com/'>http://controllking.com/

I get that the side console will do the steering but will i have to manually set the speed on the kicker and settle for that speed?

once again... http://controllking.com/

or what I do at the moment is, use a kicker to push me forward and then use my bowmount trolling motor to control the steering/speed..

Hope this helps

Edited by kevin

i have a honda 8 hp for a kicker i get to my spot lower the engin and set the speed.

For me no big deal however the controll king would be nice

I would say save your money and try it out if you hate it will then you know

I use the panther bar and think it works great but i would uses all locking washers

Best of luck

Strik

Something you may want to try until you feel that you're satisfied with the 2 stroke as your kicker. Put your main motor down running straight ahead, angle your kicker and tighten it down so that when your kicker is running the boat is running straight ahead. You can then set the speed of the kicker as you'd like and deploy your bow mount to keep you on course (works great in the wind) both to maintain ideal speed and to steer, and you can also use your main motor to steer your boat. This set-up will work well if you're trolling bays and so on. If you're following a contour it's not so great, but in that case it's probably easiest to use your kicker as a backtroller. You'll just need a handle extention.

I do what doubleheader says. Works fantastic. Having 2 points of contact with the water prevents blowing sideways while trolling. I turn the kicker a bit to make up for the push from the one side of the boat and use the bowmount as a correction device and also use the main engine as a rudder.