A question about 'bows and suckerfish

Rod Caster

If a pool is holding a large school of suckers is it better to just move on? Side hooking a sucker is not a sport.

It seems obvious that you'd snag a few but is it also a sign that rainbows are not around? I'd rather avoid the suckers, but they hold in such nice pools. Some help please.

move upstream a bit ...the suckers are congregating to get the stray eggs from the bows..unless of course they are spawning themselves (which is likely) so move down stream to try to get the bows that are picking up the sucker eggs...fair catch a hen sucker and tie up some sucker eggs...you might be surprised...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i find that i can catch fish in the midst of suckers although often i don't catch much on roe when they are in the river. 2 nights ago i didn't get a sniff on anything but 4" pink worms and big gaudy flies.

generally in a pool the bows will be in the tailout. If you spend more time fishing the tailout you should hook more bows than suckers. Now saying that does not mean there will be no bows in the head or middle of the pool,this is usally the best spots for dropbacks but you will hook into more suckers as well.