What fish finder to get

coreyhkh

Hey all I am in need of a fish finder I mostly for the gps I have narrowed it down to two and would like advice. Wading through all the fanboys from what I have read and found is that the Down scan image is a lot better on the hummingbird and it has a high res screen. Another thing I notice is on the Lowrance it seems to take more then a few button clicks to get to the page you want. That being said Lowrance is cheaper the gold model with the mapping is about the same price as the 788.

Another thing is if I dont buy a mapping info what does the gps show? I am mostly interested in 4 lakes those being Lake muskoka, Joseph, Rosseau and Kahshe. Will I get any depth info with out Navionics chip?

thanks for any help.

Corey

I have the lowrance elite 5 dsi and I love it. I got the "hot maps" for it and that combined with the gps and downscan is a deadly combo. As far as the hummingbird I cant really say because I have never used it but I have a hummingbird flasher for the ice and it works great. Good luck

From what I've read it seems that the DSI models are only good for depths up to 200 feet which is a tad inadequate for my needs. Too bad if true cuz I've been seriously considering the Lowrance Mark 5x DSI. In the late Fall, Garrett referred me to a guy named Josh at Angling Outfitters who I called and he said to call him back in a few months after he had a chance to try it out but I haven't called him yet. Not sure what to get now in the $200 to $300 range but open to recommendations.

From what I've read it seems that the DSI models are only good for depths up to 200 feet which is a tad inadequate for my needs. Too bad if true cuz I've been seriously considering the Lowrance Mark 5x DSI. In the late Fall, Garrett referred me to a guy named Josh at Angling Outfitters who I called and he said to call him back in a few months after he had a chance to try it out but I haven't called him yet. Not sure what to get now in the $200 to $300 range but open to recommendations.

I called Angling Outfitters and Josh said he thought the DSI was a piece of crap and highly recommended the Eagle 640 for $250.

I called Angling Outfitters and Josh said he thought the DSI was a piece of crap and highly recommended the Eagle 640 for $250.

Jos is the man - he knows his stuff, but the Eagle 640's are chronic leakers. I bought one for cheap - it leaked in the first year - Lowrance sent me an Elite 5 unit with no arguments. For that price though, I would gamble on it and get it real wet in the first year just to test it while under warranty.

Does it give you a clear picture when casting or moving slowly. I heard they are best at 4 mph. What does the image look like when inching along / casting????

Thanks

I have a Lowrance x135 on the bow and a Humminbird 587HD ci on the Console.I guess the question to ask yourself is What do i NEED in a sonar. Then ask How much do i WANT to spend on it. If you are an amateur sport fisher like myself, basic is always better. If you are more of a hardcore angler,or NEED to have all the bells and whistles, then go all out on the best you can buy. All the major manufacturers use the same technology in thier units, and all have good and bad stories and reviews.

Ease of operation, screen readability,user friendly menus, and after sales service should rank high in your decission making process.

Everyone on here has a favorite, but you are the one using it. I have one of each manufacturer only because my brother took the 2 Lowrance out of his brand new Ranger Bass Boat, replaced them with Humminbird units, and gave them to me. His experience with Lowrance over the years has affected his decission to go with nothing but Humminbird. Others on this forum will have other opinions.

Paul

I have one of each manufacturer only because my brother took the 2 Lowrance out of his brand new Ranger Bass Boat, replaced them with Hummingbird units, and gave them to me. His experience with Lowrance over the years has affected his decision to go with nothing but Hummingbird. Others on this forum will have other opinions.

Paul

Thats my answer right there.

I'm also looking for a GPS combo, I've had Lowrance for years and thinking of jumping ship to Hummingbird. But the down imaging I've been told is alright for showing imagines, not good for showing fish marks at any movement.

Edited by Fish Farmer