A Report of fishing

Well, after a very busy day with my daughter, I decided to go do some shore fishing on the Rainy River. I had to wait until after supper, and the weather was pretty crappy, but I had the itch, so me and the kids went anyways.

Water temps were 49 degrees, water is still very high. Wind from the east at about 30kmh/hour, about 15 celsius but felt alot cooler. I spooled up a 6'6" rod with some 8lb mono, planning on jig fishing for some pike or bass.

Got out and got set up, threw on a Northland Gumball jig with a chartruesse Yum Salted grub (awesome here for bass when the water is dirty). First cast to the right, nothing. Second cast to the front, nothing. Third cast, SNAG! Damn, I gave the rod a few quick tugs to see if I could break the snag free, nothing. Then I held the line and walked backwards abit (good way to break line at the knot, saving alot of line), I felt the snag move? O.k., water is high, might be a tree branch, but I better make sure...

I lift the rod tip slowly after tightening my drag abit, sure enough, it lifts up. This is gonna be good. First thought, big pike, been there before. Wait, it starts to peel line. No doubt now as to what it is, STURGEON!

I quickly yell to my daughter to get the camera recording, she does a great job getting it set up and we start filming. After 15 minutes of fight, and 5 minutes recording, battery dies, boooo. Cell phone comes out and I call the wife for backup, she packs up the baby and hops in the car with a camera. She gets there, I fight for another 30 minutes or so, this fish is finally tiring! I'm making some good progress now, and have it about 5 feet from the dock.

We start filming again, get another few minutes of footage, and????

The fish spits the hook right at the dock.

Oh well, good times, and the first fish I've ever hooked well over 100lbs. Very sore arms and wrists, and surprised my rod, and even moreso the line, was able to withstand the beating.

Vids are uploading now, I'll post em in the morning!

I had a snag that pulled my canoe around for 10 minutes once! Turned out it was a 6lb 3oz smallie. My PB though. Looking forward to your video.

lol, cool. I've had pike pull the boat before, nothing like the fight of this though.

Vids will be up soon. First one is loading(slowly) to photobucket, then I need to switch cameras and upload the second video, which I think includes the fish spitting the hook right at the dock?

Awesome so far....you're just wailin' on that rod and getting nowhere! That river is raging pretty good too...

lol, yep, that basically continued for another 40 minutes or so, then the last few minutes we caught on video as well right when it spit the hook.

Yep, the river is really high so far this year, its not normally anything like that. The strong current makes it pretty difficult to fish, especially if your not familiar with the area.

Second video is uploading now...

"My arms are killing me...can you light me a smoke? I Love it. Is she good with a landing net too? Can't wait to get a look at that monster.

lol, I wasnt really prepared to film anything that day, so I said some pretty dumb stuff.

She's good with a net, but we definitely didnt have a net to fit that sturgeon in, plus it couldn't legally leave the water.

Still having some issues with the third video for some reason? Fourth try trying to upload it and it's still not working?

I need some help here ladies and gents, the last video has issues I'm not sure if I can fix?

I uploaded the video from my camera to computer. The first few minutes are fine. About 3/4 way through, it freezes, but there is still sound. It goes right until the end of the video, then the frame unfreezes and fast forwards to the end????

I'm assuming this is why it won't upload to photobucket?

Please give me some ideas here. It's my biggest fish ever, and I need to save this video!!!!!

Can't really help with the computer issues but undoubtedly you have a huge sturgeon on.

Fished Rainy River when i was a kid and was scared of catching a sturgeon by accident. :o

Can't really help with the computer issues but undoubtedly you have a huge sturgeon on.

Fished Rainy River when i was a kid and was scared of catching a sturgeon by accident. :o

This really sucks. I think it might just be a camera issue, I just tried viewing the video through the camera, and its the same result. So either I'm screwed, or I need some help to fix this upload.

The video screws up right at the end of the battle too, but like I said, you can still hear the audio. I'm so bummed right now:(

Lol at being scared to catch them. For the past two years, I've tried faithfully to avoid the inside of the back eddies where the sturgeon are thick, haha.

After this experience though, wow, I'd love to catch more. Of course on proper gear though. It was unreal that my rod didn't break, I could literally feel the stress on the rod, all the way to handle of the rod, almost like it was gonna break right at the reel bed.

If anyone wants to simulate your experience they can tie a jig to a train and hold on to the the rod as it leaves the station. sarcasm.gif don't try this.

I watched my brother struggle to bring in a 15 pound sturgeon ... I can only imagine one at 100lbs!!!! my god!

If anyone wants to simulate your experience they can tie a jig to a train and hold on to the the rod as it leaves the station. sarcasm.gif don't try this.

I watched my brother struggle to bring in a 15 pound sturgeon ... I can only imagine one at 100lbs!!!! my god!

lol, it's funny you say that. In the third video I mentioned that it felt more like having your line tied to two cinder blocks in heavy current, haha.

Yeah, any sturgeon will put up a crazy fight, even 15lbers. Two years ago I caught my first sturgeon ever, through the ice, on 4lb mono. Had to drill a second hole to get em up, he was about 35-40lbs. That was a crazy fight, and I think he was previously gassed? He came up pretty easy even though he fought like hell at first.

Damn though, I wish I could post the last video, such a bummer. My daughter(who was filming) had a good quote in there. "Oh my god! Look at it, it's bigger than me!" hahaha