Chipped pike baits repaints

redskullz

I had 4 cranks(2 rapala HJ-14, One Ripplin Redfin, One Bomber Long A) that wouldnt run true due to chipped paint. So i stripped the paint off and hit em up with some flourescent orange and black tiger stripes, painted some eyes on and game them 2 coats of envirotex.

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Here is the contraption i put together so i could coat 4 lures at once and not have to buy anything...made from a broken salvaged shoe rack and some dowels. Works great!

Picture030.jpg

Here is some more i finished up today...tried some varied painting on thes ones...cant wait to try 'em out!!

Another ripplin redfin

Picture046.jpg

Bomber Long A

Picture047.jpg

Rebel "blank" (anyone remember the name of this rebel crank?)

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Great job man, baits look awesome!

What did you use to chip off the old paint? and where did you get envirotex?

I made some homemade cranks this past winter out of some cedar, just shaped, not billed etc yet. I'd love to get some in depth info on this type of remodeling, just looks like alot of fun

Thanks

I soak the chipped lures in a cleaner called Simple Green for a couple of days...some lures it helped soften the paint for sure, some not so much. The i take an xacto knife and start scraping...wear glasses! Paint chips in the eyes is not fun.

The envirotex i bought from an art store called curry's. I also use envirotex in miniature scenery i make for wargames so i bought a gallon of it last year and still have a lot left. Curry's also does mail order and has small 8 oz and 16 oz envirotex packages.

Please post pics of your cranks when you get 'em done!!

I like the tooth chips. To me, they're sort of like beauty marks.

OH i have lots of cranks that run fine and are beat up which are fine as is, but these all had 1" pieces of paint gone and/or wouldnt run true anymore. I tried just sanding the chipped edges to get them to run well again but no luck(on the husky jerks). The redfins ran okay with the chipped paint, but much of the paint was gone. I bought a new green redfin this year and put 2 coats of envirotex on it. I am hoping they are much more durable than the factory finish!! We'll find out this weekend on local zone pike opener!

Thanks for the comments!

I love the riplin redfins!! I still have one even though ALL of the paint has chipped off...can't throw it out...your paint jobs have inspired me!

Thanks johnnyb!

I was hoping this thread would inspire some to do some painting. Riplin Redfins are my favorite shallow water cranks....ive caught almost every gamefish on them except for muskie and panfish. Now if only CC would get a durable finish!!(and i dont think its ironic that the finish is so chippy....great lure with crappy topcoat finish = lots of more money for company!!) I get a max of 3-4 good sized pike(6-10lbs) on 'em before the finish/paint is half gone. The only thing i dont like about the redfins other than the weak finish is the lack of colour schemes. The colours that are available work awesome, but there just isnt enough of them.

Be on the lookout next week for a step-by-step tutorial on lure painting. ANyone have any colour scheme requests? I have a topwater to paint in a green bullfrog pattern for the guy that is sending me some prototype flat black crankbaits/topwater lures. I might do some crankbaits in a frog pattern too. OH do i wish i had an airbrush!!

I just thought i should throw this up......

if anyone has a bunch of chipped crankbaits you dont use anymore i'd be in on a tradein of sorts. I was thinking about something like you send me 5 crankbaits of a similar size(any good quality brand) and i'll send you one back fully painted to a colour scheme of your choice. They dont have to be the same type of baits.(some can be fat rap type, some deep divers some topwater ect) I only want lures that can be brought back to life though.(so no cracked bodies, broken lips ect)

I have an immaculate trading/buying/selling record online and can point you to hundreds of referances on both ebay(600 @ 100% positive) and trading sites.(over 200 @ 100% positive)

Edited by redskullz

Envirotex is a bit expensive($1 an ounce), but compared the cost of cranks its nothing and it goes pretty far. You can coat 4 lures by mixing a quarter ounce. If there was some way to slow the curing process you could get more...maybe 8 larger cranks like the redfin and the hj-14's. I only made my rack hold 4 at a time though.

Lots on ebay, but pricey and not many ship to canada...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Envirotex-Lite-Plastic-Resin-Book-Tile-Art-PourOn-Craft-/360262034397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e14a63dd

Here is the place where i bought the envirotex (local store in ontario, one in barrie, one in toronto and one in ottawa..might be one in hamilton too, also do mail order)

https://www.currys.com/catalogsearch2.htm?SEARCH=envirotex

Envirotex can be tough to use for some people too from what i have read online. I didnt have a problem with it except i put a coat on a 4th lure and it was starting to set when i was done the lure only half way! I managed to get it fixed, with a quick sand(once it was cured) and another fresh coat overtop. I thought i might have mixed too much hardener in but then i realized what the problem was....i was mixing and applying in a very nice sheltered area of our yard that happened to be in full blazing sun. The sun had hastened the curing process. The amount of time spent mixing and making sure you use the same amounts of resin and hardener is crucial with envirotex.

Well i was able to get out this wekend and the new bait did really well!! The biggest pike was only 6 pounds, but the finish held up over quite a few fish with minimal scratching. The best fish catching lure over the cold rainy weekend was the orange tiger stripe rip redfin.

I'm working on a few crude cranks today, hopefully have them ready for walleye opener.

I'm not sure what cranks they are???? They are chipped baits from my sons tackle box, so I'm using them to experiment on.

They are cheap coating, so I used nail polish remover to remove the paint, took all of 15 minutes to have them bare. Took them out and dried them off with paper towel and the paint just peels right off!

These are plastic cranks, and I want to get some practice in while I contemplate the hundred or so blanks I have sitting around from this winter.

Can't wait to finish and try these out!!!!

I had 4 cranks(2 rapala HJ-14, One Ripplin Redfin, One Bomber Long A) that wouldnt run true due to chipped paint. So i stripped the paint off and hit em up with some flourescent orange and black tiger stripes, painted some eyes on and game them 2 coats of envirotex.

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Here is the contraption i put together so i could coat 4 lures at once and not have to buy anything...made from a broken salvaged shoe rack and some dowels. Works great!

Picture030.jpg

Here is some more i finished up today...tried some varied painting on thes ones...cant wait to try 'em out!!

Another ripplin redfin

Picture046.jpg

Bomber Long A

Picture047.jpg

Rebel "blank" (anyone remember the name of this rebel crank?)

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

hi. chipped paint will not make a crank run un-true. if you want a fast strip on redfins. hit them with air. the paint will blow off. remember guys use an etch paint on plastics for primer. i have painted a few over the past few years... also use green painters tape for lip masking. its a neater relese.

hope this helps a few folks out.