Crappie bite time

CRAPPIE

I thought crappie only bite in the early morning or evening but I saw some report they hit the bait in the afternoon. Does any member got them in the late morning or afternoon?

thanks in advance!

Years ago, we only fished crappie at night using lighted bobbers and tube jigs or minnows (Rice Lake)

On Pigeon, in the spring, we catch them in the daytime depending how warm the water is...a cold night, we wait until the sun warms the water...last time out we never started until after 10:00AM...The bite was sporadic but we caught them all day until 05:00PM...

I thought crappie only bite in the early morning or evening but I saw some report they hit the bait in the afternoon. Does any member got them in the late morning or afternoon?

thanks in advance!

I had to work this weekend but kept reading all the great reports on a solid week of fishing here. I didn't have time to head out for trout,but the fishing bug was driving me insane.

So, Saturday afternoon I went out to a local reservoir and targeted panfish with my ultra light setup using a float, split shot and worms on the smallest baitholder hook I had.

I fished from 3:30- 5:30.... kept these and threw back a pile of little ones.

Springcrappiesgillsandperch2011.jpg

Sunday morning I was dreading going to work and decided to knock off work at 2pm to go back for some more panfish. I was at the same place by 2;30 and left at 6pm.

Same setup but in a different area of the reservoir as the place was over run with with parents and kids.... no matter.... I was there to fish, not complain about all the people.

The first cast and I was in to the crappies and gills again! The gills were about 5 yards away from me and real tight to the shore... The crappies were about 10 yards from me but I had to "curve" my bait around to get past a tree branch. Who knew that the wind could really be your friend. The slight 6" chop on the water was a bonus too.

I had a blast,,, one cast after another and something was on.... threw lots back, but I kept these to add to Saturdays little haul :)

springcrappies2011-1.jpg

I think I will do it again. :P