Homemade jigs

Mike01

I'd like to start making my own jigs this year. I've looked around and everyone seems to like the do-it molds, they even make a starter kit that has everything you need except the lead. What do you guys use, do you buy lead ingots or just use stuff you find around the garage?

I have been making jigs since 74,I supply several sports shops with jigs.I get a lot of lead from the scrap dealers,I only use soft lead and I never use tire weights they have to much alloy in them.Right now I have a guy that works for the hydro that trades me lead for jigs.Do-it molds are about the best molds you can use.I use powder paint to paint the heads then bake them after very hard finish then.I have made four fluid beds (makes the powder float) and makes it easier to paint the jigs.If you need any more help just PM me I will be glad to help.

my old man worked underground and had access to lots of lead ingots, i got a couple battery boxes full, made a melting pot that i put on a one burner coleman stove and a pouring ladle with a 1/8" hole at the end for clean pouring, makes it easy as pie,

i also use powder paint, best thing since sliced bread, lol, but long, i havent got any tricks for that, I simply heat individualy over a candle a few seconds then dip and presto, painted jig, you MUST bake them to get a durable finish

gaspumper, whats a fluid bed? hard to make? any pics?

I paint mine the same time as I pour it.I only pour one at a time break off the sproule dip it in the powder and hang on rack.Usually pour and paint 300-400 at a time depending on the size of jig head.I make 1/4oz.3/8,1/2.3/4.1 and 2 oz. jigs.I will try and attack the file on how to make the fluid bed.

Fluid Bed-1.pdf

First I went to a pet shop and picked up 4 of the air valves and some air hose used for aquqriums then I got some plexi glass 4x4ins, take a 2in. abs connector and drill a small hole in about the middle of it,then silicone it to the plexi glass,then get some 2in.ABS about 3in long,I use a piece of brown paper bag to put on the bottom of the 2in ABS then push the piece into the connector with the brown paper on the bottom the air will travel through it .put the small valve into the hole you drilled in the connector,then hook up the hose to an aquarium pump fill the ABS about 1/4 full turn on the valve ,the paint should roll in the container,you will get the odd volcanoes so adjust the valve accordingly.I buy my paint by the pound,usually paint around 7000-8000 jigs a year.

Something that has not been brought up yet is the ingestion of the lead has long term effects. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation if you can smell it then you are inhaling lead vapors. Do not eat drink or smoke while working with lead. Wash your hands and or wear disposable gloves while working with the lead jigs. The bodies inability to rid itself of heavy metals make this an accumulative poison that is toxic.

Art

You can tell the difference real easy just drop the lead on cement if it has a thunk sound its soft lead,if it has a high pitched sound or ringing sound it is not soft lead,also soft lead you can bend it easy.