whats your favourite spinner for trout

thanks guys for your responses.Another question i have is how many of you use a snap swivel or barrel swivel? if not do you think not having the swivel makes the difference in catching.I don't use one and have friends that do and often even if they use the same spinner i will catch more fish.is there any truth to this?

I have wondered about this as well. If I am in a small stream I just tied it on directly because casts are short and tangles are minimal.

For longer casts on larger streams, I have used swivels and snap swivels. I haven't done much experimenting with this but if you are concerned about the snap swivel deterring fish why not use a micro swivel and attached a couple feet of line before your spinner.

Edited by torco

I can't believe you fish spinners without a swivel and don't get line twist! What's your secret?

Hmmm, I never use a swivel and line twist is extremely rare and minimal. My question would be what you're doing or what rod/line you're using?

One thing you can do with flouro leaders and real small base line is use a micro swivel to tie the leader on. I'm not sure if the micro swivels I use occasionally have ball-bearings or not since they're the size of a small ant.

As for my favourite spinner, it's the one that my fishing vest has like 14 copies of - hands down the best spinner I've ever fished (and got me my first two browns of the season yesterday in like 49 degree water). A truly great lure.

Hmmm, I never use a swivel and line twist is extremely rare and minimal. My question would be what you're doing or what rod/line you're using?

One thing you can do with flouro leaders and real small base line is use a micro swivel to tie the leader on. I'm not sure if the micro swivels I use occasionally have ball-bearings or not since they're the size of a small ant.

My line twist is probably the result of making longer casts( and reeling spinners back in fast current? ). But the ballbearing swivels make it a non-issue. I'll either use a ballbearing snap-swivel direct to the lure OR a two-way swivel about a foot or two up the line. Either one seems to do the trick.

The small swivels your using, Bill, the size of a small ant are probably not ball-bearing swivels since I've never seen 'em quite that small. Doesn't sound like line twist is much of an issue with you though.

If I am in a small stream I just tied it on directly because casts are short and tangles are minimal.

I have never used a swivel as well when flicking short casts. Usually wait a few seconds for line to stop twirling before another short cast.

Longer casts or trolling inline spinners probably could use a swivel.

Mepps Aglia small size (#0 or #1)

Panther Martins small size (#0..#2)

Rooster Tail small size - this one used particularly in strong currents and reeled back in just under the water surface generates a "vroom" which seems to work very well for some trout species and completely deter others.

I always used a snap swivel, although I know that is very "noisy" and the larger, wiser trout get spooked, but it offers the convenience of almost instantly replacing the lures. I didn't get less fish with it than without it, but I feel it in the guts that I get the smaller, "innocent" ones. (I know one particular pool where I consistently caught 5-6 inch brookies, although in occasions I seen a couple of large ones - 15-20 inch - and once I witnessed a gentleman than was flyfishing and caught a male brookie of at least 6 pounds if not larger.)

I got rid of all the treble hooks from my lures and tied smaller single barbless hooks, using a small loop of 10lb test line, same loop and knot that is used for tying jigs.

Always used ultra light gear and a 4lb test line. That makes even a quarter pounder feel as large as a bucketmouth biggrin.gif.

Technique question: do you cast upstream and let it go with the flow, or do you cast straight downstream and then just reel it back?

Edited by Danubian