What a weekend, 2 birds down

10point

I thought I would share my turkey hunting experience from this weekend down here Indiana with you all. I guess it's time to go fishing now.

What a weekend that ended with my son's first bird this morning. Started the season out hunting down south for two days and only saw four birds. Saturday morning found me in the woods near home here. Had several birds close at daylight but they went the other way. I went and found them about an hour after daylight and found 5 birds strutting out in the middle of a field and they walked away from me so I went back to my blind. A little later I decided I would go back to the field and set up and hope they come back. As I was getting near where I was going to set up a heard a gobble close. I sat down against a fence post and put the decoys out. A half hour later they came right to my Jake.

TurkeySeason2011005.jpg

TurkeySeason2011010.jpg

This morning my son was ready to go after hearing my report. We set up where I saw the birds strutting. About 7 we saw a few hens and then we saw two birds in strutt. At that point my son started shaking. We were kind of down in a valley and they couldn't see our decoys. When they finally saw the decoys they walked right to the jake and my son let him have it at about 25 yards.

TurkeySeason2011017.jpg

TurkeySeason2011023.jpg

A couple nice long-beards! Congrats to you and your son. That hen decoy looks really good, what kind is it?

Both those decoys are made by Cherokee sports and are sold at Wal-Marts down here. Cabelas also has them. They ignore the hen and go right for the jake. They are inflatables.

Both those decoys are made by Cherokee sports and are sold at Wal-Marts down here. Cabelas also has them. They ignore the hen and go right for the jake. They are inflatables.

Haven't seen em up here but then again I haven't been in a Wal-mart hunting dept. this year. My buddy just got a Zinc inflatable and it looks good too but was $100 bucks at BPS.