Horseshoe Lake

perodimi

Hi Everyone,

My buddy and I moved our trailer to a campground on Horseshoe Lake this summer. Does anybody know anything about this lake with regards to fishing? Our favorite species is Pike and Bass but I've never heard anyone from this forum mention it.

This is the lake just south of Parry Sound, east of the 400 on the way to Rosseau.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

We have a cottage practically across the road from Horseshoe and regularly visit the marina for ice creams with the kids, but I've only ever fished there once. We caught lots of smallmouth and had some surprisingly big pike (close to 40 inches I'd guess) follow back to the boat. There is a really nasty shoal on that lake you will want to learn about, pretty sure its called "Hens and chicks" extends WAAYYY further out than you would expect. Enjoy your summer and if you see 4 crazy boys smeared in ice cream say hello.

I visit Horseshoe Lake a few times a year at my buddies cottage.

Like Rizzo, I've only caught small mouth and pike there. We fish out of a canoe and sometimes my buddies powerboat, no depth finder or anything and always catch something when we actually go fishing.

Don't see a lot of fsherman out on the lake most of the time either.

Thanks Guys,

Pike and Bass are fine by me. Many say that fishing is lousy because that's all there is. I guess they're strict Pickerel fishermen

I appreciate the heads up on the shoal. There doesn't seem to be any map card that covers Horseshoe Lake so I'll have to keep a sharp eye out and maybe take my stainless steal prop off and put the cheap one back on!

Rizzo, I'll look for the ice cream boys. I'll be in Legend 188 Sportfish with a 115 Merc.

Cheers,

Peter

If you go into the marina they will give you a map and mark the shoal (at least they did for me a couple of years ago). I think there are rumours of lake trout also being present (apparently there are some deep areas). Also, that restaurant on the corner of 141/69 has a great steak sandwich, you can boat right up to it, called the Heron I think (the restaurant, not the sandwich)

Thanks Rizz, I'll do that. I also hear that there is crown land on the north end of the lake. I'll have to do some scouting around for some nice family picnic locales.

Also, I like to trap my own minnows for pike bait. Do you know if there are there any streams in the area that might be good for this?

Cheers,

Peter

Correction...

Sorry, the lnk takes you to another HorseShoe Lake for some reason.

Google Horseshoe Lake Parry Sound and look for the intersection of those two roads rght off the highway.

If my mind serves me right its literally near Lioness and HorseShoe Lake Rd.

Edited by Dozer

:D

I'd find the shoal !

If memory serves me well (which these days is questionable)... and it's the lake I think it is.. I've taken a picture of it from the air.

Edit: nope comparing google earth shot to pics I have, not the lake I thought.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne

I don't know if you can make this out since I took it top of climb (FL 320 or so?) enroute to the Orient. This is when we're northbound right over the eastern shore of Georgian Bay paralleling the 400, looking out my right window toward the east. You can see Parry Sound Airport and Horseshoe lake (far left side of the picture) immediately north (or left) of that:

peters.jpg