High milage for snowmobile

2advanced

to get to your question.

Talking engines

15,000 km is a fair bit for a 2 stroke sled.

It is not a lot for a 4 stroke Yamaha.

The rest of the sled is still a sled and it is also a fair bit of milage.

If it has been well maintained then its not a big deal. If it has been rode hard and put away wet, its a different matter.

I have an 06 4 stroke for sale with 17,000 knm that I wouldn't hesitate to sell to my mother.

hahaha

I know guys with high mileage (15000 - 18000kms) Yamaha 4 stroke APEX and ATTACKS, motors are solid but when it comes to idler wheels, skid frames breaking, shock mounts breaking, sliders burning off etc. they are no better than anything else out there. Not to mention they are expensive to fix because of the Japan factor.

Face it, its a sled, sooner or later they ALL need work, I dont care if its a Cat, Doo, Poo or Yammie you have to be willing to wrench on them unless you buy a new one every two years or so.

Paying a dealer to fix it gets expensive and with the short seasons who can wait 4 or 6 weeks to get a sled fixed at a dealer when it is snowing outside and trails are mint condition.

Sleds mechanics are rocket science, actually they are really simple machines , but need alot of preventative maintenance to keep them reliable.

hahaha

I know guys with high mileage (15000 - 18000kms) Yamaha 4 stroke APEX and ATTACKS, motors are solid but when it comes to idler wheels, skid frames breaking, shock mounts breaking, sliders burning off etc. they are no better than anything else out there. Not to mention they are expensive to fix because of the Japan factor.

Face it, its a sled, sooner or later they ALL need work, I dont care if its a Cat, Doo, Poo or Yammie you have to be willing to wrench on them unless you buy a new one every two years or so.

Paying a dealer to fix it gets expensive and with the short seasons who can wait 4 or 6 weeks to get a sled fixed at a dealer when it is snowing outside and trails are mint condition.

Sleds mechanics are rocket science, actually they are really simple machines , but need alot of preventative maintenance to keep them reliable.

Thats why I'm changing up this year. I keep my sled maintained. Boogie wheels, sliders, oil and greese. 17,000 KM and its time to go new. I do 3,000 km a year and don't like downtime when the trails are good. My old one will make a great sled for somebody that wants a few rides and fishing trips a year. Big thing is you gotta go over them and do PM.

edited...if you know guys breaking yammie skids and shock mounts they gotta be treating them rough

Just got the boat out of storage today though. Hooked up the water hose and one touch of the key and it was running. Ready for the weekend.

Edited by Dara

I was going to say, triples are known for dropping a cylinder and the owner having no idea. It will run on 2cyls just fine and wreck a crapload of stuff while it's at it.

all depends on maintenance and how the start up is done etc

not all artic cats are 3 cylinders..

my buddye had a f7 2003 sold with 20 000km original everything(beat the snot out of)

my old zr 800 sold with 8000miles = everything original.

my old yamaha srx tripple 25 000 + km everything ok

buddies 2009 m8 = 10 00km not a problem

my brp summit 860cc = 7000km and not a problem yet(knock on wood)

moral of the sotry not all artic cat 2 and 3 cylinders drop cylinders

all depends on how much maintenance was done,if it was properly done, and if the old owners

started the engines and let them heat up properly..

that said i change all my sleds after 7000km since i ride mostly backcountry in the rocky mtns and

a helicopter ride out is $$$$