FENELON FALLS WALLEYE OPENER ?

jdmls

Hey guys..I was thinking of heading out to Fenelon falls for the walleye opener this year. I have heard some good things about it from some old timers who used to go years ago... is there still a good run coming up to the falls ? Have you had good success on the opener or soon after ? Haven't had a chance to look it up in the regs but it does open this saturday with the Kawarthas correct ? I fished it this summer for the first time and had some good success with the smallies...

Edited by jdmls

Opening is usually second Saturday in May for walleye on Sturgeon Lake but a week later up closer to the dams (check the regs to be sure because it might have changed due to the new zones).

I have never fished the river in the spring for walleye so I can't help you there but I do know they head up there in large numbers. Only stands to reason that there should be lots around. Getting them to bite might be another story though.

• 1 month later...

I have talked to a few people in the area and according to them the walleye have already started to head back to the lake. Might have something to do with the fact that they raised the water level two weeks ago to the highest I've seen it in 5 years. Weeds haven't started to develop yet due to the cold water conditions and late ice out this year. As for suggestions, you have PM.

I was just up there on Sunday.It's posted as sanctuary until May 19 at the locks.

Here's a pic of a big carp;doesn't really do it justice but I figured it was around the 18-20lb mark.

He was in the lower lock.

Kerry

Edited by Kerry

Thanks guys. I forgot its mothers day on Sunday. Gotta work on the car Saturday and having family over Sunday so I was really ticked that I wasn't going to be able to get out, but now that I found out its the 19th I'm still on track for the opener!!

I live on sturgeon and can tell you that they are already done spawning so I would try the lake if you can get out in a boat. Looked off the dock yesterday and the bass are almost about to sapwn which I think is earlier than last year. If you get out in a boat check out the backbays they are starting to get some nice weed growth and I have seen a few nice pickeral chasing my perch.

Good luck and cheers Jeff

I have not been back for few years during the Fenelan Falls Opener. There were too many anglers and not enough fish. Some people were fighting for spot and arguing here and there, and it was elbow to elbow crowd.

Some anglers are just rude, pretend to be friendly and then sneek themselves in spots between those who came early to reserve their spot by 6:00pm.

I fish during winter months, therefore I will pass for such an event, seeing the desperate attitude of many anglers during the opener, I don't think it is worth my while to be around them.

Those who came early that are in the right spot, they do catch some of them in decent size, but for most anglers, it is almost like hoping to win the lottery ticket.

I also agree with Big Cliff, many of the fish might have already head back to the lake as well, after the water was release.

Go back few weeks later and aim for those giant carp , you will have more fun by then