quick trailer question

NAW

Mornin,

I've be spending my free time in the past two week rebuilding my boat trailer. And this morning I'm putting it all back together.

Does anyone know what the torque spec is for the shackle bolts on my leaf springs. I haven't been able to find the exact number through web research.

I'm assuming if they are to tight, the trailer might creak, or bounce around.

Any help, or maybe a link to a helpful website, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I just checked my trailer owners manual(shorelander) and no where does it say anything about bolt torques other the the wheels.Every year I take a ratchet and wrench and check all my bolts and nuts after the boat goes in the water,which the manual states must be done.All my nuts are self locking and after the first year I have never had a loose one.My guess is about 60 Lbs /ft.

vance

Thanks guys,

It's not the u-bolts I'm worried about. It's the shackle bolts that hold the springs to the trailer.

I'll keep searching. I'm sure the magic number is out there somewhere.

naw - its not so much how tight that nut is as it is how far it goes on. its locking mechanism is unlike others, it will take piles of torque to turn it right from the get go. (so a torque wrench is not helpful.)crank the nut on until you expose 3 threads of the bolt, to the rear of the nut. the bolt doesn't work loose or move, and they can be quite difficult to remove. it is improper to use these bolts a second time, they should be replaced each time they are removed for whatever maintanence, repair issue.

Perfect.. thanks Guys.

The bolt kit I bought from P.A. said they where lock nuts, so I assumed i didn't have to torque them down tight. I just wanted to check with someone who has done it before.

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully I'll be out perchin on evening next week!

they are self locking, but not the nylon insert type. it is the shape of the nut that makes it self locking. the nut will be 'tight' as soon as it is threaded. it takes over 100lbs of torque to mount the nut on the bolt. put it on til ya see 2-3 threads showing out the back!

this is from the maunfacturer - i haven't "done it before" ive installed hundreds of axles with this hardware.