Saugeen River

torco

Hi,

I am looking at paddling and fishing the saugeen river to kick off the start of bass season. I have never been up to the saugeen and based on my readings its sounds like an excellent route and is known to have good smallmouth fishing.

Has anyone here ever done it? Looking for any info on your experiences.

Darryl Chronzey did a show that covered exactly that -- went with an outfit called Grindstone Outfitters.....I believe they put in at Walkerton and drifted for a few miles...lots of good smallie action. That is the extent of my knowledge on the topic wink.gif Hope it helps

We have paddled and fished the section from Walkerton to Southampton a few times, check out the Saugeen Conservation Authority, lots of good smallie fishing anywhere along the route. There are Outfitters in the area like Thorncrest Outfitters that will move you and your canoes or rent you canoes.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

I've canoed the Saugeen for years, I helped organize Kids runs for about 15 years, usually one on May 24, July, August, September long weekends, even the odd Thanksgiving Weekend Trip, l always took my fishing rods & usually caught some nice fish, had a few runs with 25 to 35 people & camped at McBeath, the Bluffs & some fields had a few runs with Scout trips from Walkerton to Southampton, but there was the odd trip if you couldn't read the water some of the people walked quite a ways, I was usually the last canoe so I could help anybody that needed it, if you have any questions I'll try to help

SBK