Spring Time Resident Bows

ciscokid

Never had a clue how to tackle these fish, I've fished for lake trout many times in spring in lakes with stocked bows, caught lake trout but no rainbows. I've fished for brook trout in small lakes stalked with bows (and of brookies), caught brookies, never any rainbows. Clearly these fish are doing something else so if anyone successfully fishes for these things in the spring can you help me out? I'm looking for structure, depth, whatever just where can they be found. Bait wise I'm sure a crawler harness, a few small spoons, spinners and cranks should cover me. Brookie baits really. I just need to find them. Maybe they're less active right after ice out/ early spring since they seem to favour warmer water then the chars? I don't know though, has anyone figured these things out?

In the old days it was cast as far as you could with a juicy worm on a #6 hook rigged off a 6 inch leader about 18" above a bell sinker ... for Heart lake Trout ...keep that line taught so the worm stays off bottom...get there early... have lots of patience and expect about 3 catfish for every trout :)

Havent done that in 30+ years so I can't tell you if that has changed.

In the old days it was cast as far as you could with a juicy worm on a #6 hook rigged off a 6 inch leader about 18" above a bell sinker ... for Heart lake Trout ...keep that line taught so the worm stays off bottom...get there early... have lots of patience and expect about 3 catfish for every trout :)

Havent done that in 30+ years so I can't tell you if that has changed.

30 years ago eh. You sure we didnt cross paths? I like the point on the south side under the tree,and if that was taken,it was 50 yards from the rental boat spot or there was the top end of the north side. Myself, I threw 1/2 ounce slip sinker with a 2ft leader from a swivel which was the stop for the sinker.I would break a piece of the foam off the worm tub and slide the hook through it,to act as a float/to keep the worm off the bottom.And yes,I would also use a mini marshmello to do the same.No flossing was done this way. :rofl2:

Long casts was the way to go.Just had to watch if the worm flew off before landing in the water.LOL Many a summer vacation days, were spent on Heart Lake my friend. Great times.

Ah camillj speaks the truth about the whiskers.They eat everything.

Good luck