Fishing Costa Rica

jerdog

Myself, wife and another couple are heading to Costa Rica (Liberia/Papagayo Area) in a couple of weeks. I did a search of the site and noticed a couple of reports from Costa Rica. Just wondering whether anyone can offer any advice with respect to getting a charter for a day or half day such as reputable operators. Also looked like from one report that success can be had just casting from shore. What should we target? Rooster fish seem to be the big draw but there is also mention of billfish, tuna and bottom fishing. Took a charter in Mexico last year for marlin but only boated two barracuda. Any advice would be appreciated.

Off the beach bring sabrinki rigs they are for catching baitfish. Use a 1/2 oz sinker and cast the 5 hook rig out as far as you can. You will catch mainly sardines with a few small mackeral to boot. While they average less than a pound it is action all day. A few casting spoons 3/8 are a good bet also. Non of my crankbaits or spinners worked. Going for a charter the best bet is to go down to the beach and talk to people as they return from a trip. The ones hosted from the hotel are usually more expensive and are the same people you will meet on the beach.

Art

I've been to Costa Rica twice and still kick myself for not going out for Pacific Sails. Really good days can be had, with multiple fish caught in one trip. I can't recommend any charters but I'm sure you won't have trouble finding some by doing a search or just look into it when you are there.

First time I went we stayed at Conchal but were picked up to head south to fish out of Tamarindo. From Tamarindo our boat continued south for about 40 minutes full speed then we veered out into the Blue Zone. 200 - 300 - 400 - continental shelf... suddenly 2000fow just like that. First thing we saw, a sailfish bill was just bobbing out of the water like a stick swirling in a drain. Date was April 4rth 2000n'sumthin.

That time of year the better billfishing is south of Papagayo but you will still get the odd one in the northern part of the country. Marlin, tuna, wahoo and mahi mahi are available but hit and miss. Inshore species like grouper, roosters and jacks are always around.

Average prices for a full day deepsea in a 22-24ft Whaler... $700US. You can probably get 'em for $600. Inshore half days go for about $300 for 4 hours. Pacific Costa Rica beaches aren't like those in the Carribean. Can be lots of current, drop quick, colder water and dark. From Tamarindo to Flamingo it's like that.

Do yourself a favor and roll the dice on the deep sea or inshore. In two deepsea and two inshore our boats have been lucky enough to catch, marlin, tuna, sailfish, wahoo, mahi mahi, mackeral, amberjack, bonito and needlefish. Fun, fun, fun!!!