9.9 4 stroke wont start

Ricky Bobby

Hey all - took the new boat out today, and had an issue getting the 9.9 to start.

Its a 4 stroke 9.9 big foot, electric start.

I pushed the "bulb" until hard

it would turn over, but not fire.

The red oil pressure light came on, but it wasnt running

I have added an AGM battery for the Verado, which also has all the other wiring off it. I only have the pos & neg leads from the 9.9 on its own battery.

Are there more wires that are still on the AGM that would make a difference?

What are common causes of a motor to not start after the winter

Thanks

Mine when cold... shift lock out button pushed in.. throttle to about 1/3.. crank while pushing the key in / out /in /out (electric choke) and it will fire. Then the odd tap of choke.. throttle back to about 1/4 or less until it warms up a bit. Determined that start protocol after many almost killing battery starts. Common issue with 4 strokes... pull starting can be a nightmare if you don't know the exact throttle position for starting. Found that out the hard way on a 30HP Evinrude that Temagami Marine loaned me the fall of 2006. Almost had a heart attack before I got that running...

The same deal in my '69 Bee... I could leave the key in the ignition as nobody else could start it when cold!

Oh.. and BTW.. if the red light comes on on a merc it means there isn't any oil pressure. Unlike Honda's that light, their green light, when there is oil pressure.

Edited by irishfield

Hey all - took the new boat out today, and had an issue getting the 9.9 to start.

Its a 4 stroke 9.9 big foot, electric start.

I pushed the "bulb" until hard

it would turn over, but not fire.

The red oil pressure light came on, but it wasnt running

I have added an AGM battery for the Verado, which also has all the other wiring off it. I only have the pos & neg leads from the 9.9 on its own battery.

Are there more wires that are still on the AGM that would make a difference?

What are common causes of a motor to not start after the winter

Thanks

did you attach the kill switch?

my number 1 guess.

maybe you overfilled motor with gas, sparplugs cannot fire?????

also, check sparkplugs and their spacing. i bought new ones last year, recomended by manual. strangly enough, they had bigger gap. had to bend them in to work properly.

did you dump your last years gas? you could have colected some garbage, that pluged the line. maybe carburator?

my motor didnt start as well. i posted here, and a few guys saved me a lot of time and nerves. flyweel was spinning, but i guess not enough to start the motor. apperantly, starter was gone. had to replace it.

Edited by shurik