Thanmes River Pickerel

Beats

I am hoping to get some pointers/advice towards trying for some Thames river pickerel this spring. For the last couple of years I have gone out to various locations such as the Fanshawe Dam, Delaware, various random spots.. all with no luck. Lots of ppl out fishing but I have never even seen one caught, My Dad tells me back in the 70's he used to catch them around Deleware with little effort and they were apparently large in size. Im pretty sure that the fish dont come in numbers as much as generations before, but they must still be coming. A friend has caught a few at the fanshawe dam a few years back, but other than that it really appears to be alot of ppl fishing and not alot of fish being caught. Im not asking anyone to give away their spots or anything, but can anyone confirm that the fish do come up in numbers of any size? I usually just try the old twister tail jig (white or yellow) with a jighead.

I've fished the section of river by Wardsville before but didn't have much luck (Carp and suckers, first time I ever caught a Carp on a jig). Every time I'm down there the river is swollen with previous nights of rain and run off.

I might be down there again end of May, might try it again and will let you know.

I have seen on occasion small boats in the river by Wardsville that seemed to know what they were doing, but I've only fished from shore. Boat would be nice since you could cover a good stretch of river.

yes the fish still make the run each year but with the nets (cages) covering almost the width of the river and not much of a chance for them to get up or back with out making it to the back of a truck then on my street corner for sale you will not find alot getting to where they should. NUF SAID

Mr. Eh has hit the nail on the head! That nonsense has been going on since I was a kid. I don't understand the logic in completely decimating a spring run, especially when their additional income is based on the resource. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Beats, if you are fortunate enough to find any fish that made it through the gauntlet, you'll likely find them holding in back eddys, near the main channel. Getting away from the crowds around the Komoka bridge and Delaware bridge will serve you better. Also, if you located in London, give the area around Springbank Dam, the old dam in Spring Bank Park (across the river from Thames Valley Golf Course) and The Wonderland Bridge area of Greenway Park. Look again, for current breaks, back eddys etc... .

I'd concentrate my efforts early and later in the day. Florescent Orange jointed Raps were the ticket in the very dirty water.

HH