Ever get Bored on a Tuesday?

EC1

Take a half day off school/work and go crappie fishing! Frozen-fire and I arrived at our crappie lake at about 4pm, and we were fishing by around 4:30pm. Upon setting up, we were already onto a bunch of fish. Only problem was that most of the bluegill and crappie were lazily swimming up only to take a look at our baits. A couple were landed, but it definitely was not the action that we were hoping for. We continued this for a couple of hours, and when the prime sunset bite should be starting, all of the fish disappeared!

Decided to move off to a new area, similar depth (thank you Navionics) and I instantly landed a couple on my interpretation of a “chad special” spoon. Called Frozen-fire over to join the action, but it probably only lasted another 15 minutes. We each landed a few, and then came what we thought was going to be a night to remember! Fish were all over the water column in massive numbers within a 100m radius of us!

Only problem was that these fish were probably even more finnicky than the whities and lakers on Simcoe. The spoon bite shut down once it got dark, and we were left to feed plastics to the fish. This wasn’t your traditional day where you can jig your bait until the fish came, but it required 1 inch tiny quivers that only drew fish in on occaision. Forget about noticing a bite without a strike indicator. Frozen-fire picked up on the pattern and put a few more on the ice, while I was sitting meters away just watching. It was very slow considering the amount of fish we were marking.

All in all, we ended with somewhere along the lines of 30 crappie to take home. Definitely the best night we’ve had from this lake for the 2010-2011 ice season though. The big slabs didn’t come out to play, and the largest ones we got were in and around 10-11”.

T’was a fun night indeed.

5531885661_aa02d9d496.jpg

5531885715_de3bd71dc0.jpg

5532469384_81ca204da8.jpg

5531885821_7d802f72ac.jpg

Until next time, stay safe and slam some fish!

I'm bored today... the wife took the vehicle to work, so I am stuck at home. Oh well it is raining anyway. But tomorrow is a different story. I want to go out and see if the water is thawed and maybe fish a little :):)

Very nice! A super close up on the Crappie too! Thanks for sharing and glad you both had a good time.

Gotta credit that to frozen-fire! I left my backpack/tacklebox at home and had no gloves and was really just too cold to care to look at these fish at interesting angles!