Lake Superior Provincial Park

Gregoire

A friend and I are headed up to Lake Superior Provincial Park for a week at the beginning of July for our second annual camping trip. Last year we went up to Halfway Lake Provincial Park in August. We only caught a few bass and one pike. However the bass were fairly large, including this beauty. Notice how excited my buddy was:

JasonBass.jpg

This year we have decided to head even further afield to Lake Superior Provincial Park. Part of the appeal is to see the landscape that inspired the group of seven. We will be hiking the trails and walking the shoreline. In many ways I think that this park represents the image of Canada that is projected to the world: the vast wind swept landscape with exposed rock and gnarled trees. The pristine inland lakes and forests that seem endless. It's funny that as a younger man I would not hesitate to fly 24 hours to Africa, but a ten hour drive seemed endless torture. As I get older I feel a greater need to explore this great country of ours.

Of course another appeal of the trip for me is the fishing opportunities. I am hoping to cast the mouths of the rivers with the potential to get some coasters. I would also like to hit up some inland lakes and streams for some brookies and maybe some lakers.

If anyone can let me know:

1. What part of the park that I would have the best luck in

2. What I could expect to catch

3. What I should use in terms of lures

Thanks for reading and any advice that you could give.

PS if anyone has any fly fishing tips I might be tempted to bring out my fly rod.

Greg

Call the park office.

Call the Wawa MNR office re: stocking lists.

Look at canoe routes, generally these are going to/through lakes with good fishing.

Its an awesome park with excellent opportunities for fishing, camping and hiking. Many of the lakes hold naturally occuring populations of brook and lake trout. These are sensitive populations.

Good luck in your research.

The only type of boat we'll have up there is a rented canoe. Needless to say there is only a slight chance that we will be heading out on Superior. I am guessing in the evening on a calm night at best. Whities would be nice, as I have never caught one.