Older laker report

Rod Caster

Jim Jigger and I went on a day trip a couple weeks ago looking for monster lakers. He was going to post this but, hahahaha, kept hitting the backspace button when we wasn't in the "editor" mode and quit trying.

I mapped out some lakes off of Red Squirrel road, studies depths and had some 7-10" frozen and salted chub ready as ammo. The plan semed flawless, except for one thing: Red Squirrel road never quite melted and my truck is useless in deep snow.

After playing the drums on my dashboard a few times, we turned around and decided to take the ice road on Lake Temagami and look for fish, blindly. I used my rod and auger as a depth finder...I must have drilled 50 holes that day looking for shoals and depth changes.

Jim Jigger pulled in two decent size lakers and missed another at the hole. I, unfortunately come home with nothing but a sore auger shoulder.

We had some misfortune, but overall it was a fantastic trip and a good learning experience on Temagami.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Enjoy

i've had those things frozen for over 5 months... I was upset at wasting them, but that's the way it goes.

It's quite the unique reg, I'm not sure I understand it. Are they trying to reduce the opportunity to catch bigger fish? Are they trying to keep suckers out of the lake?

Now there's no law against using two minnows at the same time, right? So what if I had two 5"minnows pinned together nose to tail (I'm thinking deadbait here)....that would be within the letter of the law, no? whistling.gif

Guess said bait would be longer than 5.1 " John. Their (MNR) claim was those fishing with bait bigger than 5.1" are using rigs that end up deep hooking their catch and it's DOA. So what if you're fising within the regs and only keeping your 2 lakers/day.

Edited by irishfield

Guess said bait would be longer than 5.1 " John. Their (MNR) claim was those fishing with bait bigger than 5.1" are using rigs that end up deep hooking their catch and it's DOA. So what if you're fising within the regs and only keeping your 2 lakers/day.

ah yes, the old 6 hook suprise.

I'm quite sure that if you had a smaller bait that the chances of a deep hook become greater, since the fish could swallow it easier.

Not that it matters for me, I couldn't catch fish on temagami if my bait was a 5 inch stick of TNT

Edited by Rod Caster