Niagara River Shore Fishing?

Live2fish85

Hi all. I was just wondering if any one could give me some advice on where some decent spots are on the Niagara River for shore fishing. I don't expect your hot spots lol, but just an idea on where to go. I was planning on taking the new boat out but with some helpful advice from fellow OFC'ers I have decided to spare myself any troubles going out without any knowledge of the river. I am going to be taking a guided tour with cast adventures just with a baby it may take a bit as there are other expenses. So if any one could give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I know the area just not sure where to go to get some nice steelies or trout and how to get down to the river.

Thanks

Chris

Try fishing Queenston, lots of fish from shore, easy access and the boat ramp is there.You will get a good idea of the ramp and the drift so if at a later time you wish to bring your boat you will have a good understanding of what to expect.It is a good shore fishing spot and I'm sure you'll meet up with plenty of other anglers that will show you the tricks.

Thanks alot I am going to go down there this saturday I think. Just need to find a babysitter lol. But thanks again for the help I willl post pictures if I get down there and have good luck. Do you know by any chance if they are hitting better on minnows or roe sacks better I am assuming bottom bouncing?

Hi all. I was just wondering if any one could give me some advice on where some decent spots are on the Niagara River for shore fishing. I don't expect your hot spots lol, but just an idea on where to go. I was planning on taking the new boat out but with some helpful advice from fellow OFC'ers I have decided to spare myself any troubles going out without any knowledge of the river. I am going to be taking a guided tour with cast adventures just with a baby it may take a bit as there are other expenses. So if any one could give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I know the area just not sure where to go to get some nice steelies or trout and how to get down to the river.

Thanks

Chris

Also try whirlpool, google whirlpool golf course for direction. Due to rocky bottom, be prepared for some snag when fishing Niagara river. 3/4 oz jighead on black, white or pink grub or gulp minnow works over there. Heavy Spoon, spinners, roe, streamers, crank bait all work , add lead weight before the lure, you must bring the lure down close to the bottom, applying slow retrieve, hoping not to get snag. Takes a lot of practice to get used of the unpredictable current. The fish are there indeed.

Thanks alot bass fighter I am heading down there next weekend couldn't find a babysitter this weekend but got one for next weekend lol. So I will grab all the things I need for Niagara when I go to Bass Pro Shop Spring Classic on saturday, I need to show the wife that the money im going to spend goes to good use lol. Quick question though I own a 7" Ugly Stik Med Heavy Fast tip do you think that would work down there I own a few bass rods and I'm getting a Flipping stick on saturday but I'm wondering if I should look at something for Trout/Salmon. Do you think the Ugly Stik would work for me or get another. Not looking to get another rod satuday but I will if needed.

Thanks alot

Chris

i would look at something in the 9' range with a 4-10 or 6-12 line rating that way you'll be able to use it for trout in the boat and from bouncing from shore that rod will also cover throwing jigs or spoons if you want to do that , the rod you have will work but its no ideal for that type of fishing but i've seen much worse , just make sure you have a reel with a good drag

If you so happen to pass by Peter's tackle at St. Cathrines. They got some reasonably priced 9'+ long rod for $45-$60 range two weeks ago when I was there, $45 are more noodle style rod, hard to use crank baits for whirlpool application, but the $60+ range, I believe it was Quantum brand, will have some back bone, also usable on Salmon fishing during fall.

The Ugly stick is just too flexible on the tip, will make you tired casting lures at the river, harder to control one's lure action if rod is too flexible. Bottom bouncing using short rod might be sufficient for a short while.

The ideal line size should be no more than 6-8lb mono. Braided line just ice up too much during winter months. I even use 4 lb leader at times and no problem landing an 8 lber with the proper drag and patience. I seldom use flurocarbon leader, but many Centerpiners swears by it.

Add vaseline to your guide to cut down on Ice build up.

Be prepared for the challenging hike, it seems to have less oxygen during winter months while grasping for our breath on our way back up. Also be cautious for icy conditions in the area. Slipping one time or another while fishing there is a sure thing, we just hope nothing gets broken.

Edited by bassfighter