Lake Trout Worms

4x4bassin

A quick question for the gang here regarding these little worms found stuck to the side of

lake trout. I have seen it before in pictures and last week I caught a small laker and it had

these little worms stuck to it . They kinda looked like leeches but I don't think they were, they were more

worm like .

Of course I picked them off the little guy and released him .

Any ideas what these are ?

Lice is what I always hear it being called... but I just googled fresh water lice and that's not what it looks like. These white little things are on many of the Lake Temagami lakers that have any size to them.

We noticed them yesterday on the Temagami lakers...just a few on the tail. I called em lice as well.

A quick question for the gang here regarding these little worms found stuck to the side of

lake trout. ...

Any ideas what these are ?

Those are Anchor Worms (Lernaea), Google knows all about it.

Anchor worms are not real worms, they are crustaceans.

Yust pick them off they won't do you any harm.

Edited by Bluegill

Thanks, Bluegill. I have always wondered what those are. I have been told they are lice, but after researching on google, that didn't appear to be the case.

These anchor worms (the females) are very prevalent on the tails and backs of Georgian Bay lake trout. They seem to eventually bury themselves under the skin (or maybe the small bumps are eggs). Does anyone know if it is harmful to consume fish that have been exposed to multiple anchor worms?

These will not hurt you, have not herd of many fish dieing from these. Northern lakes that have lake trout seem to have more on them and are still lots of lakers in these lakes I would be more worried about the tape worms found in the meat. I find tape worms in the dark meat on the lateral line under the skin when cutting it off, this year I have seen them on most lakers from lake joe. Have not seem any in the meat it self. no big deal just have to make sure you cook it well before eating.

Edited by Fishabout

..Does anyone know if it is harmful to consume fish that have been exposed to multiple anchor worms?

bluesky1713, this anchor "worms" will really not hurt you. They are external parasites that anchor themselves just under the skin. You can cut it out.

@Fishabout:

I'v never seen, here in Elliot Lake, any tape worm under the skin in Lakers or any other trout. I always make fillets from my trout without the skin, never had seen any tape worm or any other worm in trouts meat. But I will look for it because we like to make graved lax from trout, but every trout was deep frozen before we do that.

In Bass I found it in the summer that's why i not really like to fish for Bass.