Best time of Day

skdds

Hi guys, a friend and I are going to ice fishing-perch in cooks bay next weekend and have debated the best time to go. He wants to be out on the ice at 7:30-8:00 am as he says the bite is better first thing in the morning.. I don't think it should matter too much as I have caught good schools in late morning and mid afternoon. Opinions? thanks skdds

Lloyd will tell you that you need to be out before the sun comes up... I'll tell you when ever you get there is fine! lol

...I figure any time of day is ok as long as there is light, besides I don't like beer at 7:30 am...

For me depends on the lake and also how bright the sun is and the particular lake. I catch perch all day long on Simcoe but do best 9-11am and 3-dark. Although I dont fish it much Scugog is known as a dusk and dawn bite. My cottage lake produces mid-day for lake trout but if its bright sun only dusk and dawn. I think the weather plays a big part as time/sunlight.

For me depends on the lake and also how bright the sun is and the particular lake. I catch perch all day long on Simcoe but do best 9-11am and 3-dark. Although I dont fish it much Scugog is known as a dusk and dawn bite. My cottage lake produces mid-day for lake trout but if its bright sun only dusk and dawn. I think the weather plays a big part as time/sunlight.

now that you mention it, I hit really good school of perch about 3:30 pm a few weeks ago...but nothing 11-3...

Out on Nipissing there's a very distinct feeding window for the perch, especially the big ones. The afternoon bite has been just about non-existent, but once it gets within an hour or so of dusk it's game on, pretty much non-stop. not sure if they move in or just getting active, but they can be just as picky as the walleyes when it comes to when they want to feed.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

being able to say just when the fish will bite on any given day is not a luxury anglers posess... we can guess, but you just never know if it`s gonna be an 8am bite or a 4pm bite or anywhere in between. i usually try and get out early just to make the most of my day, unfortunately the fish don`t always get the memo.