Ice Fishing Resort Referral

rdambros

I have the opportunity to take the family (wife and two kids, boy 13 and girl 10) ice fishing this weekend. I'm looking for a referral to a great ice fishing resort. I would like a resort that will do everything; including taking you out, providing some guiding and instruction to kids, a shore lunch and some evening entertainment.

What I don't want is an ice hut rental, where the resort provides the hut and heat and nothing else. That's fine for me and the boys, but with the wife and kids I will need some fringe benefits.

The type of fishing isn't that important, panfish for the kids would be just fine.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Romeo.

At this late notice your pickings will be slim. With your lists of wants you should have been booking at least months ago. If your too picky with this short notice you'll likely find nothing. Heck it may already be too late for anything now.

Good Luck: Rick

At this late notice your pickings will be slim. With your lists of wants you should have been booking at least months ago. If your too picky with this short notice you'll likely find nothing. Heck it may already be too late for anything now.

Good Luck: Rick

Yes, I know. But, we had commitments that fell through. Which, gave the opportunity to go ice fishing. So, regardless of availability, do you have any suggestions or referrals for a resort?

Thanks

I have 2 suggestions but I have not stayed at either of these places in quite sometime. Both have changed ownership since I stayed there but both should have what you want:

The Waltonian Inn - On Nippissing, the accomodation was great, going out to the huts in Bombardier half-tracks was cool and the huts are huge, clean and we caught fish. Their full-service American Plan is all-inclusive and it includes bait and tipups for fishing.

http://www.waltonian...com/winter.html

The Red Umbrella Inn on 12-Mile Lake in Minden has the huts within walking distance of the resort. Stayed there quite a few years ago but the place was nice, it had a great lounge, food was good and we caught fish.

http://www.redumbrel...m/specials.html

As mentioned above space could be limited.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin

I have 2 suggestions but I have not stayed at either of these places in quite sometime. Both have changed ownership since I stayed there but both should have what you want:

The Waltonian Inn - On Nippissing, the accomodation was great, going out to the huts in Bombardier half-tracks was cool and the huts are huge, clean and we caught fish. Their full-service American Plan is all-inclusive and it includes bait and tipups for fishing.

http://www.waltonian...com/winter.html

The Red Umbrella Inn on 12-Mile Lake in Minden has the huts within walking distance of the resort. Stayed there quite a few years ago but the place was nice, it had a great lounge, food was good and we caught fish.

http://www.redumbrel...m/specials.html

As mentioned above space could be limited.

I stayed at the Waltonian this season.

It was good, but I wouldn't say it was great.

The space heater in the cottage was broken. We asked them to bring another one, they said they would, but never did.

Also, the TV in the cottage was broken. Not that TV was a big deal, but if it's going to be there, then it should at least work.

In terms of fishing, it was pretty terrible. I don't blame the lodge for that...it was just one of those weekends.

For positives: the huts were big and clean, the kid drilling the holes was really good to us, and the restaurant was pretty lively on Saturday night with a live guitarist.

Overall it was a good experience, just not great.

Wow, that's a tough one. I spent a lot of time research my last ice fishing trip and never saw anything that even comes close to resembling what you are looking for. I think your best bet is to check out the family day events in Orillia and the Kawarthas. I found this article about a 2-day Hut Hop event on Rice Lake.

Here are some other events going on.

Unfortunately, I didn't see much else. Somewhat surprised and disappointed. Probably a missed opportunity for many communities.

The only other thing I can think of is staying at a resort and hiring a separate guide service. Rice lake comes to mind again, but I have never ice fished there and have no clue if anyone guides there. Simcoe has a bunch of possibilities as well.

Good luck!!

hire a guide and stay at a hotel close by.... my suggestion would be g2 angling and depending on where they are fishing stay in picton (lots of nice places) or even napanee ( i think there is even a hilton there) many options either way.

i also agree your choices will be slim. most good lodges or hut operators are booked on weekends etc well before the beginning of the season. especially only for 1 day, its not like you can drive up to temagami , i would say your limited to a 2 hour drive max.

Well we went to Nippising and used the services of Idle Time. We caught a tonne of fish. The kids caught as many perch as they wanted. And, just before lunch we caught four pickerel, which were quickly fillet and made into a meal along with some of the perch. Then we got into a school of two pound herring and caught 15 - 20 of them. We had a great time and had no issues with the ice huts. We even got a break on the cost of the ice hut for the kids.

It was a really long drive, but the fishing was worth it.

Cheers.