Knots

cynmar

This may seem like a stupid question but what is the best knot to tie your main line to the spool prior to re-spooling your reel. As well, if you have a newer reel with the holes in the spool, do you pass your line through the holes to tie or does it make any difference? I have always just used a slip knot and spooled the line on , however, that base knot does slip around the spool.

Thanks for the info

Edited by fishingBill

I really don't like wasting line so here's what I've done for years.

Wrap my mono backing 4 or 5 times around the spool and tie off to the mainline with a uni knot. Fill the spool about 40-50 % with the backing and then splice the running line (usually about 60-70 yds)on with two uni knots.

The backing is any mono that is a bit heavier than my mainline or in the case of braid I use 12-15 lb mono as a backing.

I have only had one fish take me to my backing ever when fishing walleye.bass, pike or musky.

Steelhead and salmon in the rivers is a bit different in that I use dacron backing and about 150 yards of mainline.

I get more fresh line changes that way when I buy a new line.

For example my walleye rod has 10lb Stren(the old blue UV one) as a backing and then I splice on the 8lb line. When I need to change to fresh line I just strip of the 8lb to the uni knot and replace that portion. Always fill to 1/8 inch of the lip.

muddler