Looking for some Lodge Feedback - Any Help Appreciated

adempsey

Although we are heavy into ice fishing season, it's becoming time to book my summer week fishing vacation and was hoping some of you would be able to provide some feedback on the following lodges and/or lakes:

Cedar Ridge Lodge on Burt Lake near Kirkland Lake

Four Seasons Guiding on Big Pine Lake near Chapleau/Wawa

Horwood Outpost and Horwood Lake Lodge on Horwood Lake near Timmins/Foleyet

Chapleau Lodge on Borden Lake near Chapleau

Northern Woods Lodge on Long Lake near Wawa/Thunderbay

Paquettes Camp on Wangoon Lake near Chapleau

Loch Island Lodge/Camp Lochlash on Wabataongushi Lake near Wawa

Normandy Lodge on Kabenung Lake near Wawa

Although I prefer a fly-in, I have to stick with a drive-to housekeeping lodge for various reasons.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Cheers!!

Edited by FishLogic

I've been to Borden Lk, Chapleau Lodge and I wouldn't recomend it, nice lodge, cabins and staff but tough fishing, spoke to some guys who had been going there for years and they said it's only getting tougher, that was about 5 years ago

If Paquettes on Wangoon Lk is also known as Como Lk, I'd give it a thumbs down too

I'm not familiar with the other places but have always wanted to try Wabatongushi and Horwood, there is a fly-in lodge on Wabatongushi, that's a good sign

for trips like this, I like larger lakes with limited access like Horwood and Waba

I've been to Borden Lk, Chapleau Lodge and I wouldn't recomend it, nice lodge, cabins and staff but tough fishing, spoke to some guys who had been going there for years and they said it's only getting tougher, that was about 5 years ago

If Paquettes on Wangoon Lk is also known as Como Lk, I'd give it a thumbs down too

I'm not familiar with the other places but have always wanted to try Wabatongushi and Horwood, there is a fly-in lodge on Wabatongushi, that's a good sign

for trips like this, I like larger lakes with limited access like Horwood and Waba

Thanks Chris. I think I read some info from a previous post from you regarding Borden Lake. Como Lake is actually a larger lake just north of Wangoon Lake. Wangoon is closer to HWY 101.

I also prefer as remote as I can get. Harder to do when you're going to a drive to camp [and you also have to hit those logging roads, blech]. I think Horwood is at the top of the list so far.

Camp Localsh is great, Wabatong is a big beautiful lake, but it's not inexpensive.

Even taking the train in it's pretty much on par with the cost of a fly in.

The other camps on the lake aren't overly cheap either.

Horwood is good. My very inexperienced sister in law and brother in law went last June and had a great time.

In the Chapleau area I'd check out Happy Day Lodge on Windermere Lake. It may be difficult to find an opening though as they're always booked:

http://www.happydaylodge.com/

In the Bisco area check out Ray's camp on Ramsey lake. Getting there entails a boat ride down Biscotasing lake, then overland via tractor and cart to the lodge. Great walleye fishing there.

http://www.rayscamps.com/

As an alternative if you want to pm me I can give you 3 great options for outpost camps on excellent walleye lakes that are accessed by water, atv, or a combination of both (in all cases the outfitter gets you and yours in and out of the camp).

Edited by solopaddler

Camp Localsh is great, Wabatong is a big beautiful lake, but it's not inexpensive.

Even taking the train in it's pretty much on par with the cost of a fly in.

The other camps on the lake aren't overly cheap either.

Horwood is good. My very inexperienced sister in law and brother in law went last June and had a great time.

In the Chapleau area I'd check out Happy Day Lodge on Windermere Lake. It may be difficult to find an opening though as they're always booked:

http://www.happydaylodge.com/

In the Bisco area check out Ray's camp on Ramsey lake. Getting there entails a boat ride down Biscotasing lake, then overland via tractor and cart to the lodge. Great walleye fishing there.

http://www.rayscamps.com/

As an alternative if you want to pm me I can give you 3 great options for outpost camps on excellent walleye lakes that are accessed by water, atv, or a combination of both (in all cases the outfitter gets you and yours in and out of the camp).

Thanks for the information Solo.

I did read your previous posts regarding Horwood. I like the idea of going to Wabatongushi, but not the idea of the long gravel road. Not sure if I would train it in or not....might as well just fly. I suppose I am still not 100% on not flying, but I am trying to make some compromises. We went to a fly in lodge last year so I figured I would let my brother pick more of what he wanted in a camp.

I have read a bunch about Happy Day Lodge and I actually tried to get a week there last August but it was booked. I think the idea of hearing a train go by all night kinda turned me off of it for this trip [at least, I think that is the lodge unless I have mixed it up with another], but I did read the fishing was quite good there. I also prefer a Saturday to Saturday trip...I always feel like I will miss out of it's only Saturday to Friday.

I looked at Rays Camps previously as well (in addition to the similar camp on Bisco I think?). I was really intrigued with his approach. However, I thought the fishing was only average there? I better take another look at it because the camp looked quite nice. I think I met the owner Justin at one of the shows a couple of years ago. Nice chap.

I would love to go to a more remote outpost camp, but I just don't think that holds as much interest to the others in my group. You recommended one to me previously and I actually tried to book a week at the main lodge last year, but I lost out at the last minute. I think I need to join a fishing club or something because if I don't I have a feeling I will never be able to hit those outpost camps!

Thanks again!

FL

I just discovered that both Horwood Lake Lodge and Camp Lochalsh are on the market. Too bad I don't have half a million $ laying around :P

Anyone have any opinions [or experiences] on whether or not this has any impact on staying there, good or bad??? I would hate to be at a lodge when it's in the middle of transition.