Equipment Opinions

cowanjo

Gday all - I have a mate coming over in August 2011 to experience Canada - looking forward to loads of fishing, He sent me the following email around what he wants to pick up while he is here. I thought I would seek your advice because he is asking me and i have some opinion but normally everyone here likewise has some great ideas and directions. So here it is

note he lives in Sydney and does a great deal of spinning of the rocks for salmon, tuna, tailor and king fish

•Keep an eye out for a nice surf/spin outfit. Say a St Croix Mojo surf spin in 11' med heavy which I can use for my bait rod as well. Maybe the MSS110MHMF2. Happy to have an equivalent in a Lamiglas but criteria is most definitely must be a lightweight graphite (to old to spin with a heavy glass blank). I would love the St Croix Legend in the LSS110MHMF2 or the LSS106MHMF2 but with a retail of US450 this would have to be seriously on sale. More likely the Mojo at around $240 even if not on sale...or whatever else fits the bill. I am not as fussed on the reel, but don't want anything that weighs a ton and it does not have to be massive. I will be fishing this largely with braid and should hold say 300metres of 30 pound braid, have a good drag, decent retrieve ratio and be saltwater compatible. Budget a couple of hundred here. Happy to have carbonex drag upgrades in this.

So what does everyone think? Thank you so much as always.