Scud habitat on Simcoe

NAW

I've been hearing that the whities being caught on Simcoe this year have been jammed full of scuds.

I figure if I can find where the scuds are, then I can find some hungry white fish.

I did a little research, and it looks like scuds prefer the cover of rocks, or weeds in shallow water. Up to a depth of 35'. That doesn't sound much like the white fish grounds on Simcoe.

Does anyone have any insight on Simcoe scuds, and what type of habitat they would prefer specifically on lake Simcoe?

Scud = Fresh Water Shrimp...

Guest gbfisher

Scuds are everywhere. Just like the fish. :D Everythig eats them. I'd go with structure first and work from there. Don't forget the middle of the lake now. :good: It's a long friggin walk though. ;)

Scuds are everywhere. Just like the fish. :D Everythig eats them. I'd go with structure first and work from there. Don't forget the middle of the lake now. :good: It's a long friggin walk though. ;)

Thanks GB.

You gunna be on Simcoe this weekend?

If you see a Yamaha Bravo, and a guy with a bright yellow floater, come say hi!

Thanks GB.

You gunna be on Simcoe this weekend?

If you see a Yamaha Bravo, and a guy with a bright yellow floater, come say hi!

I know when I'm fishing for perch and accidentally pull up weeds, there's always a ton of scuds in the weeds.

However, how many of us can say they've caught whities in the weeds? I'm thinking it might be worth targetting the transition zones between weeds and harder bottom substrate and you may find whities on the prowl for bottom insects, just a guess. The other questions is what's the percentage of their diet? Is it 20% insects versus 80% minnows? I'm not sure, but if thats the case, it may be worth targeting areas with larger schools of baitfish instead of insects. Or it could be the other way around, 80% insects vs. 20% minnows, if thats the case, you may be on to something...

Edited by J-M

I usually get a nice mixture of perch and whities later in the season as the perch move deeper to the mouth of Cooks Bay.

Anywhere in 50-70 feet of water, of course you have to keep your perch as there bladders are blown out but oin the other hand the perch that cruise those deep flats seem to be larger then average.

All the scuds I have found have been in shallower water on weeds I have pulled up.

Like J-M says , try the transition depths in 30-50.

~~~About 15 years ago I was phishen inside Georgian Island Bay close to the Sand Islands in about 10' I caught 3 Whities, and I asked the CO about them being there, and was told the Whities were in chasing the Fresh water Shrimp, I have never caught them that shallow since.

Thanks for the input gents..

I have my starting spot picked out for Saturday morn..

Probly in the Big Cedar area, then work north.

To bad I have to leave the ice early. I have to go visit my grandpa who had a stroke yesterday. Poor old guy :stretcher:

Grandpas and Grandmas only last so long, your day of ice fishing can wait.

This is true. The old guy is doing good. My wife I are going to head up at noon for a visit, so I might as well hit the ice for the morning. :dunno: