Landlocked Rainbows

wuchikubo

Well, I was disappointed to hear reports of some tribs I wanted to hit for steelies. So Plan "B", call up my friend and go to a private lake. Left the house around before sunrise, got there and it was already 8 am before we started our walk out to a little dam. After a 10 min walk to check out the spot to make sure it wasn't frozen over, ahh the glistening sunlight and sound of running water, beauty, there's even enough water for casting!

As my friend doesn't normally use artificials for fishing, I had lent my reel with 4 lb flouro line on it with a northland jigging spoon. As I'm tying my rig up, I hear "Oh no! I'm stuck on something", helped my friend get unstuck. Started casting. And again "Oh no, stuck again!" after 3-4 episodes of getting the lure unstuck, the 5th time goes "snap!" I hand my rod to my friend and go to set up with another lure, one not so heavy. then I hear "splashing" fish on! I help net the fish, nice little 14" rainbow, unhooked and noticed it's spewing roe! I run and get a little zip lock baggie from my backpack and bag some "liquid gold".

I ty a small williams spoon on my friend's rod, then go back to return the rod, my friend says "this is a lucky rod" but doesn't hand it back to me??!!

I start jigging the williams, 2 mins later, slam! Fish on for me! Another little rainbow, about 15". Now my friend hands my rod back to me to switch up. :blink:

Five minutes later, I tell my friend "you're reeling too fast, nothing is going to chase that spoon on the surface. Try pausing for about 3 seconds after 3 turns of the handle." Lesson learned, five minutes later, "I've got one!" is hysterically shouted. Landed a smaller 12" bow. Then comes a 17" bow on the silver williams.

I land a couple more (friend at 4 fish and I'm at 2) then my friend says at 10:30 am, "I'm getting cold, I'm walking back, I'll see you back there."

Shortly after my friend leaves, I notice some more dark blacked fish a missing my lure. Slow down the presentation again. "Wham" another 17", a few fish later, I cast out toward the edge of the ice line. Reel-reel- pause, reel reel pause, Slam, about 20", guilding it towards the net and then out come the hook.

Catch one more smaller 15" and then called it quits. (I can only get 1/2 day of fishing)

All in all it was 6 for 7 for me. I don't count the ones I didn't get a good hook set in.

Kept some for dinner, here's the pics (sorry the flash didn't go while the fish were not in the sink:

Fish_2007_001_sm.JPG

Fish_2007_002_sm.JPG

Fish_2007_004_sm.JPG

Thanks for reading,

Stan