January fishing in southern ontario

lazlo

Well, I've been back for a year in Toronto after living out in B.C. for 2. Last winter I just had too much going on with the move and such to focus on getting out and checking out the lay of the land, but if I don't try some fishing this winter I might go crazy.

So needless to say, I need some help. I'm not looking for secret spots or anything, but just a point in the right direction would be really appreciated. I need to know where a guy with a car, a float rig and a standard walleye/bass rig could go to try and catch some fish?

Are there any fish running in the rivers in january? Is it just ice fishing? I'm willing to drive 4-5 hours if there's a lake/river worth going to. I'm a big fan of nature too so places that have a lot to look at too are always fantastic.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. Happy holidays everyone.

Just to end on a high note, I did catch a pb Walleye this summer and some nice bass. I'll try and post pics soon.

The lower Niagara is always a great bet for steelhead, browns and lakers through the winter.

In fact..it's fishing great right now. :)

It gets better once Erie freezes and doesn't constantly muddy up the river.

Another truly great option is pretty much any warm water discharge.

In mild offshore winds you can have a lot of fun with even just a float tube.

If you ever want to get out ice fishing on Scugog let me know. Young_One and I have gone out there a few times and walleye will open in the new year. Do you have an ice rod? If not, I have 4. You just get the minnows...

congratulations u r in one of the best places for year round fishing opportunities in the world, as the paddler said googling any warmwater inflows at plants are known casting spots, niagra river as well as some other systems in your area which may or may not be open, but if i were you i would spend 20-30 bucks on an ice rod and a bit of gear and get to fishing the kawarthas or muskokas through the ice. i forgot to add that u will need to get an auger, but once u start gettin em through the ice u cant stop. take a day to go with someone familiar with the bay of quinte, u wont regret it

Wow, thank all of you so much for the feedback

Hey solo, are there fishing opportunities on the Niagara from shore? What fish are in the system right now?

I've heard someone mention port Dalhousie before, is it a place worth visiting?

Sorry, I should've mentioned when I said float rig I meant a short float fishing rod and reel which I used for Salmon out west.

GBW, I might take you up on that offer. No ice fishing poles but minnows I could definitely provide. I'm on vacation over the holidays, but I'll try PMing you in the new year if that's okay.

Really appreciate the offers guys. Blairwelsh, I'm gone until January 11th, I'll pm you after that, hopefully the fish are still running then.

Happy holidays everyone, really appreciate the help. I will definitely be contacting you guys once I'm back.

Cheers.