FINALLY !

splashhopper

Finally ! :blink:

The rainbow trout skunk is over for me. I didn't catch one at all last spring, nor last fall :dunno:

I put it down to being so nuts over bass and pike that I may have been ripping the baits right out of last season's trouts mouths. Or maybe I just lost my touch. Who knows, who cares! MY skunk is OVER!

Been up twice in the past two weeks trying for bows. My buddy Dutchy was all over them on Thursday and that was enough for me.. if HE can catch em, so can i :angry: lol

Got a late start yesterday and ended up fishing with two friends from 2-5 pm. One of them celebrated a birthday of sorts with 8-10 bows... a bunch of them were shakers, but he landed two good ones and lost a lunker. My other buddy went 0-0 and I did the same.

I posted a thread last night from my Blackberry about trying some floater jigs on a bottom bounce rig.

It started out promising enough. Two solid hits and my worms were stripped. Had one helluva solid hit and it actually broke my leader in the middle. Maybe I had a knick in it though. Not sure. :dunno: Kept trying for another hour but no more hits.

Decided to try some float fishing.. Nothing.

Pulled out my 5' ultra light combo ( with 4lb test line) with a green and orange deep diving Rapala.

WHAMMO on the first cast :blink:

Not the biggest, but it put up a decent fight and MY SKUNK WAS OVER !

Rons1stRainbowfor2010.jpg

This was a similar pattern that Dutchy and his friend used on Thursday and it was still working today. Thanks for the heads up Dutchy. :good:

Shortly after I caught this one, a guy showed up to do some fly fishing. I was keeping an eye on him and hoping to see him land one too. No luck for him.

He was a decent chap and didn't crowd me so I decided to move down river and give him some more room to work the fly rod.

Am I ever glad I did. The water is quite a bit shallower than where I caught the previous fish so I tied on a another rapala in the same colour but a shallower diver.

Five casts in to it and KARRRUNNNNCH! Bent my little 5 ft ultra light in half... :tease: No doubt about it, this was another rainbow!

I was pretty nervous with this set up and loosened the drag way off so I wouldn't lose this fish. After about 5 minutes, I very gently brought it to shore and was just hoping it wouldn't do a death role at the last minute.

Dragged him up a grassy bank and voila... I got my limit for the day !!! Yippee.... whooppppeeee..... yahoooo.... lol

I had left my gear back where the guy was fly fishing and he kindly offered to take a couple of pics for me when I got back with my catch.

So after an estimated 2000 km or so, I finally come home with something to show my wife for my absence on the weekend. I think she was wondering if I forgot how to fish. lol

Rainbowtrouts2010.jpg

And then, just for the sake of ANOTHER PIC to end my skunk, I took this one too.. lol

Rainbowtroutonultralight.jpg

The smaller one is being given to one of the chaplains at the Sally Ann where I do some volunteer work and my wife is baking the other as I type this.

Thank you to the fishing gods for blessing me with some trout this year. B)

Edited by splashhopper

I just hope the skunk is truly over.... I started going after steelies 4 years ago and had pretty good success the first two full seasons.

Didn't think it was such a big deal to catch them...

Then the fishing gods decided to give me a piece of their ever so ready humble pie and shut me out for fall and spring last year :(

My hopes were not raised much last week either, but the place I fished this weekend is very much a piece of The Creators heaven on earth to me. Quiet, very few anglers to be seen and lots of time to reflect on life, Just for Today.

But catching trout there is THE primary reason for trekking in a kilometer through ;)

Thanks for the all the other great steelies reports on here, they have kept me interested to say the least :rofl2: