Hardy Jet fly rod

Gregoire

This morning I bought a Hardy JET 8 wt fly rod at the local antique market. I don't know much about fly fishing, but my brother is really into it. It is in brand new condition, it still has the plastic cover on the cork handle. It also comes with the bag. I was wondering if anyone had any info about this rod. I was thinking I can gift it to my brother for his birthday, but he does not have much use for a rod over 5 wt, and he also has gotten into building his own rods. I was also thinking that it might be good to use for steelheading.

Does anyone have any input about this rod? I an charging my phone and will post pics when I get it working again.

I am also interested in the value of this rod. I believe it to be in as close to mint condition as a rod of this age can be.

Pics added

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

Edited by fishgreg

Good score, they are collectable. Friend of mine who is a fly fisher of some notariety is after a little 7 foot 4wt I have along with a 4 Hardy Marquis reel, he knows his stuff so it must be of some value. I got mine back in the very early 70's at Eddie Bauer on Bloor St. back when they sold fishing tackle and guns and real outdoors stuff instead of yuppie clothing :wallbash:

you might want to start your research here

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

It was the first quality fly outfit I bought and has sentimental value, spent a lot of time with it on Spring Creek near Caledonia NY. and for brookies up on the Rocky Saugeen.

Good score, they are collectable. Friend of mine who is a fly fisher of some notariety is after a little 7 foot 4wt I have along with a 4 Hardy Marquis reel, he knows his stuff so it must be of some value. I got mine back in the very early 70's at Eddie Bauer on Bloor St. back when they sold fishing tackle and guns and real outdoors stuff instead of yuppie clothing :wallbash:

you might want to start your research here

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

It was the first quality fly outfit I bought and has sentimental value, spent a lot of time with it on Spring Creek near Caledonia NY. and for brookies up on the Rocky Saugeen.

The rod came with the original bag as well. I am thinking that it will be a good rod to use for steelheading. Thanks for the link. I am going to spend the day researching now.

The rod came with the original bag as well. I am thinking that it will be a good rod to use for steelheading. Thanks for the link. I am going to spend the day researching now.

That's good , Hardy's of that vintage usually had a silver female ferrule plug as well did you get that ?

That's good , Hardy's of that vintage usually had a silver female ferrule plug as well did you get that ?

I have no idea what that is, so I am going with a no on that one. Any recommendation on what reel to pair with it?

Edited by fishgreg

I have no idea what that is, so I am going with a no on that one. Any recommendation on what reel to pair with it?

If you want to target steelhead with it, go with a 8/9 Hardy Marquis Multiplier, be prepared to spend some coin though or you may get lucky twice :tease: . Heard good things about the newer Pflueger fly reels too, maybe give one of those a try in the 8/9 class.

edit : oh the plug is a small cork attached to what looks like a tiny silver pawn from a chess set, stick it in the female end of the ferrule when the rod is broken down, keeps dirt and debris out and would offer some protection against damage.

Edited by dave524

I added pics of the rod if anyone is interested

Very nice, appears to still have the plastic on the full wells grip and small extension grip. Is it 8'9"long or is it 8/9 wt line, see an 8 and a 9 near the grip? It would make a good steelhead rod should you choose to fish it. Again very nice score, I assume it was not overly expensive. I'd roughly expect it to go for $150 to $200 to a collector, maybe more in Japan.

Very nice, appears to still have the plastic on the full wells grip and small extension grip. Is it 8'9"long or is it 8/9 wt line, see an 8 and a 9 near the grip? It would make a good steelhead rod should you choose to fish it. Again very nice score, I assume it was not overly expensive. I'd roughly expect it to go for $150 to $200 to a collector, maybe more in Japan.

It is 8"9" or 270cm. It is an #8 or 8 weight. I'm currently looking for a vintage reel to pair with it. I actually paid a fair bit for it as the antique market that I go to is quite upscale. I did pay less than 150 for it so at least I did not overpay.