Spinning reels

Garry2Rs

I don't know anything about them personally either Johnny.

What I did read was that for many years Okuma built reels for private labels, before deciding to offer reels under their own name.

Tica is another Asian company that went the same route.

At least with these guys there should be some parts someplace.

With third party reels, once the order is filled, the actual manufacturer might completely retool for the next client.

Even when you detect a family resemblance between a BPS or Cabela's house brand and some other reel, the internal spec.s for the two reels could be quite different, metal vs. plastic parts, quality of bearings, etc. etc.

What most people don't know is that many old names in the business are now owned by importers who don't make anything. They order from people like Okuma and trade on the name familiarity of the old brand.

I think this is what is called "Good Will" in the business world.

Edited by garry2rs

My favourite reel ever was the Emblem Z, close second is the Whisker. Both Diawa.

As for the Okuma, I have a few of their Inpsira spinning reels, and to be honest, I have never had an issue with them. Boated a fair share of Simcoe smallies and Niagara lakers with'em too.

For price point I would definitely have a looksee at the Okumas.

But it is tough to beat the Stradic for all round reel if you want and are able to spend the money.

Edited by Harrison

Guest Johnny Bass

My favourite reel ever was the Emblem Z, close second is the Whisker. Both Diawa.

As for the Okuma, I have a few of their Inpsira spinning reels, and to be honest, I have never had an issue with them. Boated a fair share of Simcoe smallies and Niagara lakers with'em too.

For price point I would definitely have a looksee at the Okumas.

But it is tough to beat the Stradic for all round reel if you want and are able to spend the money.

Yep. The Emblem Z was one step up from the Emblem X I had. One of the best reels(If not the best), I've ever owned. The stradic's smooth reeling and high gear ratio is in a class of its own though.

These new tapered lip spools are okay, I have one on my latest Stradic, but I can't fill them with braid into the taper without the line falling off...I wonder if they can really cast any farther than the old profile with a little more line???

what is the model series of your stradic? the newest models, (both the FI and the Ci4 series) have the Aerowrap 2 line lay system (this is different than the normal aerowrap found on the Saros and below and all older model number stradics) that is supposed to be amazing with braided lines.

if it is an older model, there should be washers that were included with the reel. these are placed on the shaft of the spool to change the taper of the line wrap.

you will have to consult the instructions, but what you can do is add/remove the washers on the spool shaft to give the line lay a cone shaped pattern, with the fat end of the 'cone' at the spool base. this should allow you to put more line on the spool without it spooling off at the spool lip.

its worth a try.