Louisiana Fish Kill

stubbex1

On the News this morning:

Near Louisiana's Plaquemines Parish, there lies what looks like a gravel road. It's not: It's a waterway clogged with hundreds of thousands of dead fish, crabs, stingrays, and eel—so many that it appears solid. A dead whale was also found in the area, WWL-TV reports. "Fish kills" are fairly common along the Gulf Coast, reports, often caused by sudden oxygen depletion. This one, however, is different: Usually, only one species of marine life is involved.

Though an official cause has yet to be determined and some experts cited the typical reason (low oxygen levels), some residents suspect it's another BP oil spill side effect—the fish kill was found in an area hit hard by the spill. "Here we are, trying to get our fishing back, trying to get our seafood back and with these kind of fish kills, (it's) going to have a lasting effect, if we don't do something about it," says the Plaquemines Parish president.

For Video click on link

http://www.newser.co...-fish-kill.html

I've often wondered if fish ever get caught by the tide before, but in these numbers?? Just another blow for a already hard-hit fishery.

K.S

Edited by stubbex

The name of the fish escapes me but along the California coast at certain times of the year when the tide goes out a lot of fish that were in spawning get left high and dry on the beaches and people just gather them up in pails...beats having to use a smelt net like we have to... :whistling:

have you been under a rock or so far north you have not heard ===

the largest oil spill in history just unfolded and you want to talk about propaganda... it sure may have been a natural event. But if I was a betting man.... I know where my money would be.

you must either work for a gas company or BP.

"Fish kills" are fairly common along the Gulf Coast, reports, often caused by sudden oxygen depletion. This one, however, is different: Usually, only one species of marine life is involved.

SUDDEN OXYGEN DEPLETION ======= Corexitis a product line of solvents primarily used as a dispersant for breaking up oil slicks. It is produced by Nalco Holding Company which is associated with BP and Exxon.[2] Corexit is the most-used dispersant in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, with COREXIT 9527 having been replaced by COREXIT 9500 after the former was deemed too toxic.[3] Oil that would normally rise to the surface of the water is broken up by the dispersant into small globules that can then remain suspended in the water.[4]

BP had used Corexit EC9500A and Corexit EC9527A by late May, applying 800,000 US gallons (3,000,000 l) total,[12] but more accurate estimates run as high as 1,000,000 US gallons (3,800,000 l) underwater.[13] By late April 2010, Nalco, the maker of Corexit, says that it has been deploying only Corexit 9500.

Reportedly Corexit may be toxic to marine life and helps keep spilled oil submerged. There is concern that the quantities used in the Gulf will create 'unprecedented underwater damage to organisms.'[26] Nalco spokesman Charlie Pajor said that oil mixed with Corexit is "more toxic to marine life, but less toxic to life along the shore and animals at the surface" because the dispersant allows the oil to stay submerged below the surface of the water.[27] Corexit 9500 causes oil to form into small droplets in the water; fish may be harmed when they eat these droplets.[4] According to its Material safety data sheet, Corexit may also bioaccumulate, remaining in the flesh and building up over time.[28] Thus predators who eat smaller fish with the toxin in their systems may end up with much higher levels in their flesh

Guest gbfisher

you must either work for a gas company or BP.

Sorry man...Neither. Semi retired. :)

I never said anything was good about the oil spill. Only that people should know what's natural and what's not.

If they prove it is because of the oil spill....by all means, You are the better man :worthy:

:)

The name of the fish escapes me but along the California coast at certain times of the year when the tide goes out a lot of fish that were in spawning get left high and dry on the beaches and people just gather them up in pails...beats having to use a smelt net like we have to... :whistling:

The Grunion is the fish your thinking of